Introducing Bamboo Beige

fat fuchs

Should be about 20bhp gain, 10% should be noticeable! Will be doing this to backdate sometime

4 hours ago, fat fuchs said:

SSI Install Update

1. Sound

The car now has a more defined exhaust note. At idle it has a pleasant, hollow sounding burble and is still acceptably quiet when driving in all gears below 3500rpm. Above those revs it becomes progressively more aggressive in tone. I quite like it.

2. Throttle Response

This took me by surprise. The car is far more responsive and linear throughout the rev range, which I really don't understand as I know little about exhaust flows/systems but then again I don't need to. I quite like this too.

3. Power

I can only say that the car 'feels' quicker. This may just be my imagination as I have no way of conducting a proper test but that 'feeling' is enough for me. 

This SSI system came my way FOC as part of an SC 'flip' car, but I do confess to being impressed and I would suggest that for the money they retail at, SSI's are well worth it. It's transformed my car. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Cheers

FF

👌

7 hours ago, Lesworth said:

Exactly me experience with SSI's as well Andrew, well worth the outlay.

Just out of interest, are you both (Lesworth/Haith) running a standard Dansk rear box or 'sport' boxes?

Cheers

A

4 hours ago, fat fuchs said:

Just out of interest, are you both (Lesworth/Haith) running a standard Dansk rear box or 'sport' boxes?

Cheers

A

I am Andrew. Standard 60mm single outlet stainless exhaust. 

Edited by Busybee

12 hours ago, fat fuchs said:

Cheers

A

I run standard Dansk back box with the SSIs, sounds great, especially as you move up the rev range.

I’m with you on the sound, the dansk + SSI just sound quintessential 911 to me. You can also open the box up to a cap-able 3 out for when you want to turn it up to 11. 

image.gif.57c443612419c9d2da870681b16e015d.gif

16 hours ago, fat fuchs said:

Cheers

A

Standard box - plenty loud enough for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back in October 2019 I installed these new Sway-Away torsion bars which I first came across on the Elephant Racing site. I went for larger size hollow bars to reduce weight a little. Matt got hold of a set for me.

IMG_1183.thumb.JPG.2e4eb3048986d3296b8278513bcf518c.JPG

Browsing Pelican Parts forum recently, I noticed a post detailing the failure of the exact same spec torsion bars only 2 months after installation. Further searches revealed a concerning number of failures of Sway-Away bars. It left me feeling uneasy, so I've decided to switch them out for OE bars. Pain in the backside to strip it all out again but had to be done. Spring plate bush decided to stay put initially but came out OK eventually. Re-glued it with 3M product.

IMG_1979.thumb.JPG.e9d7b1d8021b160548d43f22a1a9ec56.JPG

In my case the bars 'looked' OK with no visible stress fractures but just didn't want to risk it.

IMG_1980.thumb.JPG.3017a58026c75392256c63cb0e58c5d6.JPG

Appreciate OE bars can fail too but (touch wood) I've not had that happen in 25 years of IB ownership. There may well have been other factors involved in the reported failures so my decision is based upon 'torsion bar anxiety' and not a direct comment on the quality of SwayAway products.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Robos911 said:

You 911 less now then or another project in the offing?👍

Yes, I have another 911 but not an IB. I'm done with IB ownership now but I'm still maintaining/restoring them for others. Your car is looking really good btw, glad to see it's nearing completion.

All the best
FF

19 minutes ago, strosek34 said:

You kept all this quiet Andrew,  what 911 have you got now,

I drove past Bicester Heritage centre last Saturday where there was a classic car show on,  I saw what I thought was your Bamboo 911,   Maybe it was.

996 Turbo.

The chap that purchased Bamboo lives locally so could have been him Steve. I've just re-upholstered the seats for him actually so it now features a Pascha interior!

Cheers

A