Upgraded forum subscription packages are now available here - this costs from just 4p a day so please consider supporting the forum. All discussion boards and technical forums will continue to be visible to all users. Forum software add-ons including the Private Messaging and Photo Uploader systems will be deprecated during August for free members.

New posts in the IB Cars and Parts Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads sections are now restricted to supporting members only. Access to the Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads section will be supporting members only from September 1st.

Note that the rules on trade adverts have not changed. IB still does not permit trade ads, but I am working on an 'IB Professional' supporter's option which may be of interest.

fat fuchs

Introducing Bamboo Beige

Should be about 20bhp gain, 10% should be noticeable! Will be doing this to backdate sometime

4 hours ago, fat fuchs said:

SSI Install Update

1. Sound

The car now has a more defined exhaust note. At idle it has a pleasant, hollow sounding burble and is still acceptably quiet when driving in all gears below 3500rpm. Above those revs it becomes progressively more aggressive in tone. I quite like it.

2. Throttle Response

This took me by surprise. The car is far more responsive and linear throughout the rev range, which I really don't understand as I know little about exhaust flows/systems but then again I don't need to. I quite like this too.

3. Power

I can only say that the car 'feels' quicker. This may just be my imagination as I have no way of conducting a proper test but that 'feeling' is enough for me. 

This SSI system came my way FOC as part of an SC 'flip' car, but I do confess to being impressed and I would suggest that for the money they retail at, SSI's are well worth it. It's transformed my car. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Cheers

FF

👌

Exactly me experience with SSI's as well Andrew, well worth the outlay.

7 hours ago, Lesworth said:

Exactly me experience with SSI's as well Andrew, well worth the outlay.

Just out of interest, are you both (Lesworth/Haith) running a standard Dansk rear box or 'sport' boxes?

Cheers

A

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, fat fuchs said:

Just out of interest, are you both (Lesworth/Haith) running a standard Dansk rear box or 'sport' boxes?

Cheers

A

I am Andrew. Standard 60mm single outlet stainless exhaust. 

Edited by Busybee

12 hours ago, fat fuchs said:

Cheers

A

I run standard Dansk back box with the SSIs, sounds great, especially as you move up the rev range.

I’m with you on the sound, the dansk + SSI just sound quintessential 911 to me. You can also open the box up to a cap-able 3 out for when you want to turn it up to 11. 

image.gif.57c443612419c9d2da870681b16e015d.gif

16 hours ago, fat fuchs said:

Cheers

A

Standard box - plenty loud enough for me.

Thanks for responding all.

I'm clearly behind the SSI curve that you've all been enjoying. Should have done it some time back. Off to find some tunnels to drive through...windows down.:steering:

So, MOT time again. Only two more before exemption if the rules stay the same. 

IMG_1937.thumb.JPG.4a9064f0a0b3c0b002f9d50c2f496457.JPG

IMG_1938.thumb.JPG.c3d438fe7e743822e4099a910847fb6d.JPG

IMG_1942.thumb.JPG.57f02972e03d123df793161df9b5c704.JPG

IMG_1943.thumb.JPG.518869553dd7f0065012b111dfa8fdd5.JPG

It passed so all good👍

• Like 1

Looks great --- from ground level and below!!👍

• Like 1

Back in October 2019 I installed these new Sway-Away torsion bars which I first came across on the Elephant Racing site. I went for larger size hollow bars to reduce weight a little. Matt got hold of a set for me.

IMG_1183.thumb.JPG.2e4eb3048986d3296b8278513bcf518c.JPG

Browsing Pelican Parts forum recently, I noticed a post detailing the failure of the exact same spec torsion bars only 2 months after installation. Further searches revealed a concerning number of failures of Sway-Away bars. It left me feeling uneasy, so I've decided to switch them out for OE bars. Pain in the backside to strip it all out again but had to be done. Spring plate bush decided to stay put initially but came out OK eventually. Re-glued it with 3M product.

IMG_1979.thumb.JPG.e9d7b1d8021b160548d43f22a1a9ec56.JPG

In my case the bars 'looked' OK with no visible stress fractures but just didn't want to risk it.

IMG_1980.thumb.JPG.3017a58026c75392256c63cb0e58c5d6.JPG

Appreciate OE bars can fail too but (touch wood) I've not had that happen in 25 years of IB ownership. There may well have been other factors involved in the reported failures so my decision is based upon 'torsion bar anxiety' and not a direct comment on the quality of SwayAway products.

10 hours ago, Justin689 said:

Very nice colour and so much like. Impressive works on the restoration! Love it...

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

FF

On 12/09/2018 at 21:38, fat fuchs said:

Thanks for the positive comments folks. Ducktail arrived from Matt today so will be test fitting and prepping that for paint over the weekend.

Cheers

FF

Where do you get your ducktail?