3.2 Carrera Suspension

Busybee

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same super pro on mine. Not too bad to fit, I lubed 'em and squeezed them in using a length of threaded bar and some big washers IIRC.

Hard to evaluate the change 'cos I changed torsion bars, shocks and bushes at the same time....

Chris.

47 minutes ago, Chris T said:

I have the same super pro on mine. Not too bad to fit, I lubed 'em and squeezed them in using a length of threaded bar and some big washers IIRC.

Hard to evaluate the change 'cos I changed torsion bars, shocks and bushes at the same time....

Chris.

Thanks Chris. Threaded bar with big washers sounds like a good idea. The big rubbers supplied with the Konis drove OK last night but they're not joined. They just slide onto a metal tube either side of the top mount. Somehow doesn't sit well with me even though they're in there between the top washer and the shock dust cover. I greased the rubbers up a bit so they should find their level. 

I should've left the original rubbers in there but Id already started to take them out. I'll want to get the whole thing setup at some point so not sure whether to put poly bushes in, change anything else or leave it to a pro to assess and advise. 

14 minutes ago, Busybee said:

They look good Shirish. Thanks. 25% stiffer. They also look like they split? No hammer and strawberry lube! 

Could well split - their gearbox mounts do, same could apply to these

27 minutes ago, SP72 said:

Could well split - their gearbox mounts do, same could apply to these

👍 as an aside, are these like your seats SP?  Just saw them on Facebook. Recaro SPG so the chap says 

97FBCFFB-4B0E-4B8D-B801-7BB11FBB960A.jpeg

213CBE5C-6FDC-48C2-88D7-7076D4D74052.jpeg

DFDF6CF9-4D12-4853-868D-BC88FB5DB903.jpeg

Those are the 964 or 993RS seats i believe - kinda spendy - they are in between Pole Positions and SPG, not available aftermarket.  Could be 968CS seats, as Anil has fitted in his.

Mine are the Recaro Absolutely Fuming, sorry, Furious

1 hour ago, SP72 said:

Those are the 964 or 993RS seats i believe - kinda spendy - they are in between Pole Positions and SPG, not available aftermarket.  Could be 968CS seats, as Anil has fitted in his.

Mine are the Recaro Absolutely Fuming, sorry, Furious

I liked your seats a lot. Snug which I imagine on a twisty road would be perfect to hold you in place.

I have the old style Recaro Turbo‘s in my SC and they are really good. Just slightly more side bolster than a standard sc seat but they just hold you and are comfortable enough for a full day. Worth bucks these days apparently. 

What the man said on FB @786. In fact he was talking about using them or not cause his standard seats were so nice. 

“Have had the SPG Recaros for a while now. Just struggling to fit them as the OEM sport seats are so lovely!
Am I getting old?!!🤣” 

Maybe the naming convention is different in Europe? I have had PP's in previous cars and these look identical. I actually thought of getting them for my current car with the backs painted Guards red as in your pictures but then nixed the idea in favor of a more retro setup. Looks great though.

9 hours ago, Busybee said:

43549902_10215766302288327_2850013797953830912_n.jpg

😉

2 hours ago, Busybee said:

👍 as an aside, are these like your seats SP?  Just saw them on Facebook. Recaro SPG so the chap says 

97FBCFFB-4B0E-4B8D-B801-7BB11FBB960A.jpeg

213CBE5C-6FDC-48C2-88D7-7076D4D74052.jpeg

DFDF6CF9-4D12-4853-868D-BC88FB5DB903.jpeg

Nice seats! Harry has a fairly convincing similar set in his GT2 (4min 20):

On 10/9/2018 at 7:48 PM, Busybee said:

Update. So thanks to @Anil, I now have a lovely shiny pair of front koni strut inserts. Started the job of fitting them this afternoon/evening. All good so far. Had to weld up a two prong tool to remove the strut cover thing. It worked! Bit flimsy so I’ll make a better one from thicker steel tomorrow. 

The old strut inserts are koni too! Just on a softer setting. So, do I put the new inserts in or reuse the old ones? The old one looks ok. I’ve adjusted it to a firmer setting (half a turn off maximum as with the rears). In taking it out, there were a lot of bits “missing” compared to the koni instructions in box. Photo below with the old shock installed. Another photo with the old shock on the left and the new shock on the right built up. 

My fear is that that koni just won’t be stiff enough for me. Advice chaps? Have I built up the new one correctly? Why were so many bits missing on the old shock? 

7C166DB7-AC68-48CC-992D-8BAE90269D19.jpeg

61183751-33C9-4BB3-BD3D-A2B0EAFA09F1.jpeg

Unless it specifically says in Koni instructions; would suggest ,first compare the old and new shock shape and diameter of the insert ,beneath the thread.

Chances are it will be the same.Fit only new bump stop,which has same shape as the old one.

The other bushes,in the right hand photo to me they look more like either top mount or rears? Am not familiar with Koni`s.

Reffing the top cover,best tool would be Jimmy bar to lever down A arm.

• 3 years later...
On 12/10/2018 at 08:41, Busybee said:

Old post I know but looking to upgrading mine as slight cracking.  What did you go for in the end?  The rennin split ones would be easier fit!  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Ruskiedog said:

Old post I know but looking to upgrading mine as slight cracking.  What did you go for in the end?  The rennin split ones would be easier fit!  Thanks.

I went for powerflex heritage. Fitting them is not a issue, if you make yourself a jig out out scrap wood, plenty of silicon lube and use something like a bearing press to push them in. (I used a bicycle Bottom bracket press tool).

6 minutes ago, TargaWayne said:

I went for powerflex heritage. Fitting them is not a issue, if you make yourself a jig out out scrap wood, plenty of silicon lube and use something like a bearing press to push them in. (I used a bicycle Bottom bracket press tool).

Pat. pending @2021

20210417_115213.jpg

I stuck with originals with advice from Chris at Centre Gravity. It's on a stock suspension setup just been tweaked by them and it rides very well (if a little soft)

On 04/01/2022 at 09:24, Ruskiedog said:

• Like 1