Head gaskets failed......

Targatogo

Could those in the know help please? A couple of years ago my engine was rebuilt and has done about 1500 miles since. However, two cylinders were leaking and compression tests were poor in 1 and 6. The engine has been taken about and it appears that the head gaskets in 1 and 6 had failed and two others were in the process of failing. I have attached a couple of pictures (not very good ones though!) which show that the small springs have either gone or have bits missing from them. The engineer looking at the engine has questioned the torque setting in the Bentley guide and I said I would ask on here to see if..

1) should the gaskets do this after 24 months?

2) is the torque setting correct in Bentleys?

3) is there a recommended gasket to get (I purchased a complete set last time - can remember where but engineer said they were a good make when I got them)

Many thanks for your help

IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0743.JPG

15nm doesn’t sound a lot to me. I’ll leave it to those that know more to comment with more accuracy. I would have thought it was 25ft lbs, or c 34nm....

What head studs and what year car?

53 minutes ago, Dr Rock said:

15nm doesn’t sound a lot to me. I’ll leave it to those that know more to comment with more accuracy. I would have thought it was 25ft lbs, or c 34nm....

53 minutes ago, Dr Rock said:

Thanks for the reply. My car is a 3.0 SC built in 1982. Head studs are steel.

Should be 24 - 25 ft lbs (I think the factory setting was 33 Nm but over the years when converting to imperial units books have tended to round up or down).

15 Nm + 90 degree will probably take you to a similar value and is a popular way of doing things at the moment. 

Building the torque up to the correct value is my preferred method + when you check head bolts after initial running in phase and during periodic checks you just go straight to the torque value. 

Always use a good quality torque wrench with the desired value in the mid range of the scale.