3.3-litre 930 Engine

Nerodino

My 3.3 turbo came to me with the wrong engine in it, only as much as it wasn't matching numbers.

i am currently having the correct engine rebuilt which will go into the car.

The engine I removed will soon be up for sale

It comes with an invoice for £8k in 2012 when it was fully rebuilt and has done very few miles since.

It will come with most of the ancillaries.....I am not 100% sure if my engine guy will require anything off it yet.

it will definitely have a good original exhaust system.

my reason for this post at this stage guys is I am not really sure what it's worth?

regards

Graham

5 minutes ago, Nerodino said:

My 3.3 turbo came to me with the wrong engine in it, only as much as it wasn't matching numbers.

i am currently having the correct engine rebuilt which will go into the car.

The engine I removed will soon be up for sale

It comes with an invoice for £8k in 2012 when it was fully rebuilt and has done very few miles since.

It will come with most of the ancillaries.....I am not 100% sure if my engine guy will require anything off it yet.

it will definitely have a good original exhaust system.

my reason for this post at this stage guys is I am not really sure what it's worth?

regards

Graham

Just to say, the work was carried out by Ninemeister

As BB asked, is the engine that came with the car a proper 3.3 Turbo but just not with matching numbers? (ie, engine mumber not being the original). I must admit, I don’t get this marching numbers thing, so what.....the woodman’s axe syndrome maybe?....my paint isn’t original, nor are the tyres....soon the brake discs / pads will not be either! The steering wheel is a Clubman and the fuse box is Jonni’s spade type (fantastic improvement on Porche’s attempt!)....as is his CD unit......forgot the LED bulbs in the dash!!....there is probably more but I digress....!

David.

8 hours ago, David Gander said:

As BB asked, is the engine that came with the car a proper 3.3 Turbo but just not with matching numbers? (ie, engine mumber not being the original). I must admit, I don’t get this marching numbers thing, so what.....the woodman’s axe syndrome maybe?....my paint isn’t original, nor are the tyres....soon the brake discs / pads will not be either! The steering wheel is a Clubman and the fuse box is Jonni’s spade type (fantastic improvement on Porche’s attempt!)....as is his CD unit......forgot the LED bulbs in the dash!!....there is probably more but I digress....!

David.

Whole car is pretty much worthless then............................😉

Ha ha 

Yes it is a proper 3.3 turbo engine with turbo etc

i bought the car from the previous owner who had a turbo which he had just had the engine rebuilt and then had the misfortune to write it off!

He then bought the car which I now have, this car had a poorly engine with a head gasket gone and the engine from his old car was then taken out ( By Tuthills at great expense) and put into my car..........he then was told by Tuthills that the car needed further work on the body...........he had run out of money and the will to live by this stage and I bought the car from him along with the poorly but original engine.

I have done around a thousand miles since and then decided to rebuild the car and give it the honour of putting the original engine in it.

So the engine is currently being worked on and will go back to its original home.

ok so yes an engine is an engine and you can take the Mick on the "matching numbers" bit , but one day if I sell the car it will be an important fact to some people.

regards

Graham

So, no idea how much a a proper 3.3 turbo engine is worth. I’m guessing quite a bit. I’ve never seen a complete one come up for sale. 

When you bought the numbers matching engine, can’t you use the price you paid as a guide? Maybe knock 20% off as you’ve probably paid a bit of a premium for the “right” engine.

so £50 no good? 😢

10 minutes ago, Busybee said:

So, no idea how much a a proper 3.3 turbo engine is worth. I’m guessing quite a bit. I’ve never seen a complete one come up for sale. 

When you bought the numbers matching engine, can’t you use the price you paid as a guide? Maybe knock 20% off as you’ve probably paid a bit of a premium for the “right” engine.

so £50 no good? 😢

Well Mr Busy..........even with a couple of zero,s on the end I suspect not......sorry!

The car was bought for a fair price and the engine was"thrown" in.

😂 Ahh ok, the engine was part of the deal. How many miles are on the engine you want to sell and does it need any work? 

😂 Ahh ok, the engine was part of the deal. How many miles are on the engine you want to sell and does it need any work? 

The engine only has a few thousand miles under its belt........I have just messaged the previous owner as I don't know how many miles it did in its original car that was written off before it was put in my car.......it has been an absolutely perfect engine with me and the only minor issue is one of the oil transfer pipes has a slight drip but this will be sorted before it goes.

I would suggest around the £15/20k mark if you have build receipts etc. 

Agreed they don’t come up too often but are expensive to rebuild but you need a car with a blown unit or someone building a hotrod!

hope this helps

boydyrs

Hi Graham,

I've just had a turbo rebuilt and the cost is pretty hefty, as I'm sure you know.  If at the start of the build I could have found a good engine I would probably have been comfortable paying around the 15k mark. The issue, for me at least, is that in some ways you may be buying someone else's problem.  Anything more than that and I probably wouldn't have taken the risk.

It's a bit of a strange beast in that not many people seem to be in the market for turbo engines, but if you need one then I don't think you could buy one for much less than 15k.

S

Yes I hear what you're saying Sinbad re the fact that it's going to have a limited market, the engine I am having rebuilt has just been stripped and apparently is not too bad so I await the rebuild costs on it!

So I will be putting the original one ( rebuilt where your car is being done strangely enough!) up for sale very soon.

• johndglynn changed the title to 3.3-litre 930 Engine