Impact Bumpers
Sign in to follow this  
Rdra

Imported 1977 IB US to UK spec changes-advice request..Thx

If anyone has time I'd appreciate any info that could help me converting my recently arrived 1977 US Cali IB to UK roads - I assume headlamp swap US to UK (I'm being advised to initially fit standard H4 lights from Holden? so I can just it on the road ASAP). Also I see the yellow/orange indicator lights are also current side lights - do the H4 lights have 2 bulbs? Main beam and side light? with separate wiring connectors?  and can I rewire from the current side lights to the H4 headlight? It would be good if any new headlights are not recessed into the wing as they are currently. Would I need a replace headlight bezel?  Also the yellow/orange lights at the back - I think that they are lite when the side/main lights are on (like driving/running lights)..so maybe illegal? Also I cannot get high beam to stay on permanently. The temporary high beam flash work ok.  Finally (sorry) the front US number plate cannot be easily seen so I don't know where/how to mount the UK front plates once I get them..if anyone could shed any light (excuse the pun) on the US to UK conversion process I would sincerely appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Richard

2018-09-04_15-29-00.jpg

c.jpg

Richard, an angled bracket should still be available from Porsche for the front plate.

High beam reads like a stalk issue, the side light is in the headlamp with the other style headlamps (i.e. non sugar scoop), the wiring’s easily modifiable.

When i did mine.....i had all the front and rear lights sourced from pelican parts in the US and put in the frunk before it was shipped,the front numberplate stuff is still avaiable from porsche,and the amber side driving lights i just took out the bulbs

run the wire from the front side lights up to your new H4's. You will need to extend it slightly, that then just leaves the indicator function on those bulbs. In terms of front lights if you want to get it MOT'd quickly just look for 7" sealed beams on Amazon, you will be able to get a pair for £20-£30. Not original but a direct replacement.

In terms of rears, not sure I didn't need to do anything with mine. It did have red rear lenses though which I changed for ones like yours.

Just get some new UK spec H4 headlights, you'll want them anyway.  You might need to remove the bulb from the front side lights and bring the wiring up into the new headlights.  Number plate you'll probably get away with.

You may need rear fogs as well.

If I was going to the expense of buying a set of lights I'd look into the LED ones RPM Techik sell. They are immeasurably better than any halogen technology. 

For the rear fog I'd convert one of your reversing lights to do the job.

1 hour ago, Kenny Senior said:

If I was going to the expense of buying a set of lights I'd look into the LED ones RPM Techik sell. They are immeasurably better than any halogen technology. 

For the rear fog I'd convert one of your reversing lights to do the job.

As far as I can tell, you still would need the h4 housing etc to mount the LED ones in don't you? 

Rear fog lamp not required on cars made/used before 1st April 1980, so that's one job less.....

Just want to thank you all for your replies ...all advice appreciated and  taken on board..Richard :)

Change the rear bumper over riders to euro spec, they look much better