Calipers refurb on a 3.2

osc911

I'm giving my car a once over after 5-6 years of no use and want to tackle the calipers. They are not very clean to look at and pistons are a bit sticky. Whilst they might free up, I'm weighing up options.

The car will be for road use and from my reading, the stock calipers are pretty good for the job.

I spoke to Classicar Automotive in Cheshire and they quote £80+VAT+shipping per corner for a full refurb with Budweg parts on my ATE calipers.

Brakes International are quoting just under £60+VAT+shipping each for the fronts by ATE (unsure of parts used for the refurb).

I know Classicar is highly rated here, but just wondering if anyone has any experience with Brakes International on a 911. There is not much price differential but this is not a job I want to do twice.

2 minutes ago, Leicestershire said:

Do you get the bodies electroplated or just painted?

The proper way to do this is to use zinc plating which acts as a sacrificial coating (it gives the yellow finish on the metal). I have found someone in West London that can do this but oddly they want to see the caliper before quoting a price. If you paint, then it's better to do this on top of the zinc coating. 

11 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

It’s actually a very easy job to do yourself with medium mechanical competence.  Works out very cheaply as well.

I want to split the caliper, so the zinc will protect all faces and liners. Do you know where to get the EDPM 1/2 seals (flat washers) to seal the caliper on re-assembly? Classicar won't supply them and BrakeIntl have one set for ATE but don't know if it will fit. If you know the size of the washer then I could check this.

7 minutes ago, SilverWT said:

Big can of worms for little return IMHO.

Mark

Thanks you guys bring the experience on this. There is a bit of patchy surface rust so should I get the zinc dip without splitting halves and just do the normal seal kit?

It's not only the seals that are an issue, it's also getting the special bolts that hold the halves together and then reassembling without any leaks.

Personally, if I wanted an original type finish I would talk to Matt at Type911 about some exchange ones that are already done.

Mark

Changing the seals is an easy job, splitting the halves is not. I'd either settle for changing the seals and giving them a coat of silver paint or send them away for professional refurb.

New ones tarnish pretty quick anyhow....

Chris.

Weird timing, I've just had an email from BCS calliper refurbishment telling me how they took on too many orders and have finally cleared the backlog. To encourage new business they are offering 30% discount to 1st 50 customers from today, so be quick! I don't believe I have ever used them, so cannot comment on quality but may solve your dilemma.

enquiries@bcs-automotive.co.uk

Chris.

I managed to speak to BCS yesterday (thanks Chris). £300 for 4 calipers refurbed (normal price £350, discount on labour only) in basic gunmetal (darkish grey) with stainless steel nipples.

They don't split the caliper (they find, as Mark said, this is more trouble and no benefit). The process is to sandblast then an ultrasonic bath with rust remover, then apply a resin 2-pack finish (they fine, as Chris said, the zinc starts to tarnish within a few months). If a piston is needed then this will add £25 each.

The paint and function carry a lifetime warranty. I thought the zinc would last but I think it's better getting good paint for the long-term. Fancy colours can be had for + £120.

What do you reckon guys?

Edited by osc911

• 2 weeks later...

I got 4 930 brakes refurbed by classicbrake, they were perhaps a bit far gone but I think they cost me 1800 quid all in to refurb.

bit expensive I felt but the result was good, however Im not competent enough to mean something about it. might have been a donkey of a job to get em sorted.

• 1 month later...

OK I went down the DIY route. I've taken the left front and rear off first and capped off the copper pipe so I can still move the car if need be.

The calipers are on the bench and the pistons are out (I used a grease gun to pump them out). The prices I quoted above don't include new pistons, and these are about £40 each when fitted for you and it's 2 per corner. I can get all 8 Budweg (OEM?) pistons for around £80 (some of mine do need changing) and unless any rusted pistons are replaced they won't last very long before getting stuck again. I felt it was not great value giving them to someone else to rebuild given it's a simple task.

I have sourced a local chap (Jackson's Plating) and they will sandblast and zinc for £25 each with a 3 day turnaround. I think the calipers need the zinc coating to protect the metal, but I'm also thinking I will put on the same high temp epoxy paint that BCS use (they supply it) on top of the zinc to keep them looking good for some time.

The case need to be pressure tested. Dont do all the work and then find there is a crack in the casting! We are finding about 20% of the calipers we have sent away for refurb are scrap.

• 8 months later...

Finally dropped them off to the alchemist!
I took the advice of the knowledgeable on here and went down the DIY route, plus didn't spilt them.

Cleaned, tested and new zinc.f8700022474d55c9578d96efdf930ea4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Don't know whether they are still around but I posted this in 2014! (Stainless pistons)

"Checked mine - they were from bigg red - www.biggred.co.uk Part number BRP234803SS and were £13.90 plus vat each almost exactly 2 years ago"

• 1 month later...

I see you have the cut outs at the same angle on the pistons, from memory there is a right way to fit them. Looks like you know about this but just wanted to make you aware. Zinc plating looks good.

Baz

Thanks Baz, I used the following info for setting up the angle. Printed out the template and cut it out, and set the angle using this.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_caliper_rebuild/911_caliper_rebuild.htm

I loved the zinc but it is sacrificial and will tarnish so quickly hence I went down route to use a black high temp coating option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk