Impact Bumpers
Ian Comerford

Low rise ramps vs low rise jack

3 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Ian, save your money, why not use a few pieces of wood, a cut up scaffolding board works well 😉 

Ha ha I’ve been using bits of wood for years and fancied something slightly easier as the wood ramps are a steeper angle than these, often take 2-3 attempts and sometimes slip.

I also just use old timber joists, a stack of three. Cut the ends at an angle with a circular saw and drill aligned holes to drop in a pin to keep them from slipping. Can also wall hang them from the holes. Works fine and can’t ever collapse.

What are you going to do with the car 3" higher?  I know you're slim but you're not Flat Stanley.

You could make those out of timber. 2 x 2" stacked and screwed and then electric plane a slope onto them. Half hours work for the cost of the timber. (Screw after planing obviously ;) )

Doh, like wot MiG said.

Edited by Phill

53 minutes ago, Nige said:

What are you going to do with the car 3" higher?  I know you're slim but you're not Flat Stanley.

Haha, it’s just to allow enough space to get my current jack under.  Okay I’ll keep the bits of wood......

9 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Ian, save your money, why not use a few pieces of wood, a cut up scaffolding board works well 😉 

just reread my post, epic man math fail 😲 suggesting wood,

have you thought about buying a 2 post lift or flush floor mounted scissor lift ??

14 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

just reread my post, epic man math fail 😲 suggesting wood,

have you thought about buying a 2 post lift or flush floor mounted scissor lift ??

I don’t have the ceiling clearance in the garage really so the best option is jack and stands. 

2 hours ago, Leicestershire said:

For the sake of £58 get both.

A high lift low profile jack is almost a must for any workshop. 

This. The decent low level Jack's not only go straight under, but are large and generally lift the car very quickly and easily with large leverage :)

Or this one which is 10kg lighter than the SGS and a few squids cheaper.  I also think that as my trusty old jack was bought in 1991 it could be time for a new one.  https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-ctj2qlp-2-tonne-quick-lift-low-profile/?da=1&TC=GS-020111820&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg-X6w6e73gIVh4jVCh2iDw5WEAQYAyABEgJvdvD_BwE

I have got one of the SGS jacks and its a very good bit of kit, double pistons which you dont get on all of the jacks and is well made. Fits under most cars or if too low a scaffold board lifts the car enough.

Baz

Check out the Arcan trolley jack at Costco, really like my one.Arcan 2000kg Aluminium and Steel Service Jack - Model HJ2000EU