Interior refresh - Winter project

ALEX P

I've had no interior for years now and this winters project is going to be making the inside of my car a slightly more sociable place to be!

To make having an expensive toy like these more justifiable I think I need to use the car a bit more next year. I've got two small children so I need to fit a set of rear seats in that have been lingering in my loft for ages along with rear belts and carpet etc. 

I'm not planning on putting the rear shelf back in or the rear side panels but was thinking more along the lines of an RS kit with rear seat added. I also don't want to go for the flimsy paper thin carpet that is probably ok in the back of a car that never sees an occupant but I really need something more robust. I quite like the idea of having the squareweave / haargarn bouclé carpet but it's not the cheap option.

I've bought some silent coat sound deadening pads to start things off and loose fitted the rear seats. I don't get in the back of my car much and I forgot just how many brackets and hooking points there are. I was always reluctant to cut these out because there is no real mass saving so didn't see the point. Now that I need to fit sound deadening what have others done? Grind them off or just go over the top or go around them? I've circled a load below:

43921773470_b12a4248f3_z.jpgRear Interior 01 

44825348995_e9c67afce6_z.jpgRear Interior 02

Also, in the parcel shelf and below the rear window there are a number of holes (again circled below). What are these for? I'm guessing it's ok to cover them up as the old shelf must have done that although it may have let them breath a bit?#

43921773650_cbbfa0c2e8_z.jpgRear Interior 03 

Finally, the gap between the back of the rear seats and the metalwork is massive. Even with the parcel shelf fitted there must still be a pretty big gap there right?

44825348905_512a883d7b_z.jpgRear Interior 04

Hi Alex.   I deleted the folding seat backs and made a hardboard single piece replacement. It has some padding and upholstery so at a glance looks like a proper seat. I kept the bases so it is still useable as a seat. 

I used 12mm closed cell foam over the firewall and seat base, with cutouts for the various metal tabs, including the big central one on the hump.  I didn’t cut any of the metal but you can no longer tell it is there. 

Will try to find some pictures. 

Alex - fill all of those holes with some cavity wax too, just in case you get any water ingress.  It might smell for a little while, but I reckon it's worth doing. 

This is what I did with mine - not saying it's perfect, but it's better.

• I painted on some lizard skin or something like that onto the panels - full coverage.
  • silent coat pads onto the bigger panels (working on the 25 coverage or whatever it is)
  • closed cell foam with a foil back (helps with heat transfer)
  • mass loaded vinyl (it's heavy 5kg per m2 I think)

My car is quieter, but it's still nowhere near modern car quiet.  It did stop quite a bit of the heat transfer.

You're right about the carpet. I have an appbiz RS kit and it's not very nice.  I would go for one of the thicker ones or the more woven ones if I was doing it again. 

I can bring it over sometime if you want to have a listen, go for a burn and a pint 👍

My MOT man says that if you have a seat you should have a seat belt so make sure you factor that into whatever you plan - not sure how Jonny gets away with his so maybe my MOT man had been on the beer when he told me :)

15 minutes ago, Kenny Senior said:

I've not had any rear lapbelts for the last 5 years and it's caused no issues. Mine's a 1982 though. Not sure when rear belts became mandatory.

Looks like yr right, 87+ needs belts in the back.

14 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

I used 12mm closed cell foam over the firewall and seat base, with cutouts for the various metal tabs, including the big central one on the hump.  I didn’t cut any of the metal but you can no longer tell it is there. 

Thanks Jonny, that's exactly what I want to hear. I'll try a similar approach.

4 hours ago, Northy said:

Alex - fill all of those holes with some cavity wax too, just in case you get any water ingress.  It might smell for a little while, but I reckon it's worth doing. 

This is what I did with mine - not saying it's perfect, but it's better.

• I painted on some lizard skin or something like that onto the panels - full coverage.
  • silent coat pads onto the bigger panels (working on the 25 coverage or whatever it is)
  • closed cell foam with a foil back (helps with heat transfer)
  • mass loaded vinyl (it's heavy 5kg per m2 I think)

My car is quieter, but it's still nowhere near modern car quiet.  It did stop quite a bit of the heat transfer.

You're right about the carpet. I have an appbiz RS kit and it's not very nice.  I would go for one of the thicker ones or the more woven ones if I was doing it again. 

I can bring it over sometime if you want to have a listen, go for a burn and a pint 👍

I've never even heard of Lizard skin. Cavity wax is a good shout though. All of the sound deadening is pretty hefty stuff but I'm not chasing every last kg so would rather something that performs properly. Skinny carpets are great for cars with cagfes etc but I reckon kids will put holes in it and trash it pretty quick so probably worth splashing out.

Would be good to go for a beer soon - Maybe one of those Sunday meet up jobbies at the pub just outside Waddeston?

1 hour ago, jevvy said:

Looks like yr right, 87+ needs belts in the back.

Just got my MOT a few weeks ago (without seats) so all good.

It would be a bit mean to not give the kids seatbelts though. Anyone older than kids doesn't need them because they're so squashed they can't go anywhere anyway!

Simon does good work, just make sure you fully specify what you want (exact car details and the type of carpet) and he will do the business!

59 minutes ago, ALEX P said:

Cool, I'll drop him a message.

Thanks chaps.

If you’re after originality Alex the quality of carpet varies a lot between the different suppliers.

Even though they all list it as Silverknit.

I had samples from a few companies and Simon’s is one of the best.

The prices vary a lot too.

regards

Russ

11 hours ago, Rustybum said:

If you’re after originality Alex the quality of carpet varies a lot between the different suppliers.

Even though they all list it as Silverknit.

I had samples from a few companies and Simon’s is one of the best.

The prices vary a lot too.

regards

Russ

Hey Russ, no not fussed about originality at all & I quite like the Sliverknit but really want to get square weave throughout, a bit like a giant cocomat!

I've emailed Lakewell, Simon (pf911), The Whisperer 911 & A J Trimmer (as he's local and did my alcantara-ish headlining).

I'll probably ask for samples before pressing the button so will report back.

Cheers.

13 hours ago, ALEX P said:

Hey Russ, no not fussed about originality at all & I quite like the Sliverknit but really want to get square weave throughout, a bit like a giant cocomat!

I've emailed Lakewell, Simon (pf911), The Whisperer 911 & A J Trimmer (as he's local and did my alcantara-ish headlining).

I'll probably ask for samples before pressing the button so will report back.

Cheers.

Oops!

Sorry, I should’ve read your original post better! 😩

I hadn’t seen the square weave bit.

• 2 months later...

Quick update & a few questions.

Got a bit over excited with my sound deadening and slapped a load of Silentcoat 2mm sound deadener (spacesuit) and 10mm sound deadening foam all over the car.

I ended up buying an RS squareweave carpet kit from PF911. Quality seems excellent and they are really good to deal with. Thoroughly recommended so far.

Started putting the pieces of the jigsaw together using the appbiz instructions:

http://www.original911.com/docs/rs_carpet_guide.pdf

So... onto my first round of questions for those who have done this before:

1. What have you done around the cover plate/inspection panel over the gearbox rod linkage? The appbiz instructions say to cut out the panel then add the cover plate on top. My cover plate is pretty tatty so this would look pretty bad on mine and if I used the section that I cut out to put on the cover plate then it is not finished around the edges so would also look rubbish.

2. Handbrake area - The cut-out isn't that big. Are you supposed to fit the carpet under the handbrake or over it?

31790460937_e6edcce68a_z.jpgthumbnail_20181231_143336

31790461287_17bc7b0814_z.jpgthumbnail_20190113_125718

39766782033_61e0c74bd5_z.jpgthumbnail_20190113_125743

46007199024_a3dea91beb_z.jpgthumbnail_20190113_170630

31790461527_d539111476_z.jpgthumbnail_20190113_171322

39766782083_6e404463d2_z.jpgthumbnail_20190113_145510

IB gear linkage cover is under carpet.  No hole.  Only early cars have the cover on top     

Carpet goes over the handbrake.  You’d normally have the autoheat unit or a rubber boot to finish. The boot in mine is from an earlier car with twin heat levers on the same side. 

22 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

IB gear linkage cover is under carpet.  No hole.  Only early cars have the cover on top     

Carpet goes over the handbrake.  You’d normally have the autoheat unit or a rubber boot to finish. The boot in mine is from an earlier car with twin heat levers on the same side. 

Aha, thanks Jonny. It's been so long I forgot that. I thought I remembered removing a section of carpet from my cover.

7 hours ago, Lesworth said:

Thanks Les, I have seen them but I'm not sure because they still let in dust and muck. I guess it's another area for engine & gearbox noise to get through if there are holes there. 

I think they look ok but are the cons probably outweigh the pros.

6 hours ago, Northy said:

Mine is under carpet, but is a perks alloy drilled special. I just didn’t glue that part of the carpet down so you can pull it out the way.  

That carpet looks nice 👍 

That sounds like a better plan. The squareweave carpet is really nice to look at but is really stiff so is tricky to mould into position. I haven't got really stuck in yet but I've been told to use a heat gun to help manipulate it.

This brings me onto my next question - Has anyone else had trouble fitting the multiple layers of carpet behind the internal B-post area? I'm really struggling because there seems to be 3 layers of carpet in some bits from the sill section and then the upper and lower rear arch/under window side panels.

46019754024_6c4ac5270f_z.jpgthumbnail_20190113_170453

46019754254_468b94dd5f_z.jpgthumbnail_20190113_165242

I'm trial fitting my carpets also from PF911 and just trying to work out what goes where. There's 2 pieces that have me stumped though. I'm sure they're for the front footwells but cant work out how they should sit.
Does anyone have any pics please?
Does the vinyl tape where my fingers are run up the A Post? I don't get why there's 2 layers of carpet.
Any help or advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Craig

IMG_20190115_094307.jpg

IMG_20190115_094314.jpg