Curious water leak in driver rear footwell

Gio

So dealers have been in touch and they have identified the culprit. They say it is a hose coming from the bulkhead, which was blocked, full of leaves etc.. He described it as the channel from the vent in the bonnet. Now I have asked them to check if it has spread anywhere else, as I want to store the car and ideally have it dried out properly..  I am rather puzzled why the area under the drivers foot well seemed dry, but behind the drivers seat was wet.. Does that sound normal? 

He reckons I have caught it at the right time and it has not created any further damage.. 

G

2 hours ago, Gio said:

I am rather puzzled why the area under the drivers foot well seemed dry, but behind the drivers seat was wet.. Does that sound normal? 

Maybe water was tracking along the outside channels that support the seats? There are a couple of cut-outs along the length but I guess it's just about possible.

Otherwise I'd be looking at B pillar/rear windows etc but pretty sure that's already been discussed.

I used to get soggy carpets and ended up taking the whole lot out to find the source of the leak.

Edited by ALEX P

It doesn't sound normal IMO. Whilst the area they identified is a known leak culprit i doubt its the cause of the rear carpets getting wet.

I would ask them to check under the soundproofing beneath the rear seats and also behind the rear quarter trim when you go to pick it up - easy for them to do whilst you look on.

Not sure where the drain they are talking about is? Are you sure they're not talking about a sunroof cassette hose? You just might be able to see the two rear ones by opening the sunroof motor zip in the headliner and looking in there.

Sounds like the corrugated tube you can see in the middle bottom of this pic (which does indeed drain the scuttle/bonnet fresh air vent):

cable+vent+closed1245471004.jpg

I think they may have fixed a problem you didn't realise you had yet but not sure how water gets from there to the rear seat footwell without leaving some damp along the way and elsewhere. Do you park on a steep hill?

3 minutes ago, jevvy said:

Sounds like the corrugated tube you can see in the middle bottom of this pic (which does indeed drain the scuttle/bonnet fresh air vent):

cable+vent+closed1245471004.jpg

I think they may have fixed a problem you didn't realise you had yet but not sure how water gets from there to the rear seat footwell without leaving some damp along the way and elsewhere. Do you park on a steep hill?

This is where they are suggesting it is coming in from - thank you jevvy. However I doubt whether that much rain water would get in, as I do not park on an incline, as my driveway is flat. So I am thinking it is maybe where I have washed the car whilst using a hose and the water was clearly running into the car over time. I have asked them to look at the rear seat area also, to see whether that is wet..  

G

Say the fresh air blower drain tube was blocked and you filled the blower up with water. Most likely water would leak out of the blower electrical connector or the joint with the fan.    It would then trickle down into the smugglers box and out the bottom of the car.   Don’t see how it could get in the cabin from there.  

More likely rear window seal.

To be honest, think the dealers explanation is regrettably typical Porsche S**T service; aka "I don`t know how/where to fix/care to do job properly."

As the others echoed, if the rear mat is wet then its a issue rear area . Would suggest is to sit inside car, when someone points water hose around seals ,roof ,floor area.

Thanks for the replies, will quiz further, he said they would carry out some tests for the leak. With respect to typical Porsche s**t service comment, I really hope not, as they seem to have a good reputation and most of their technicians have been there a while..

What is not helpful is they have started to grit our major roads in Herts, as temps are dropping below 0 degrees tonight. Ideally do not want to drive it on the roads to the storage facility (15 miles max journey) with salt on the roads.. 

Further testing by the dealer suggesting it was also coming in from the door area also, they have ordered parts and continued testing - no more leaks and all covered under warranty thankfully..Will try to speak with the technician to understand the detail..

G

4 hours ago, Gio said:

Further testing by the dealer suggesting it was also coming in from the door area also, they have ordered parts and continued testing - no more leaks and all covered under warranty thankfully..Will try to speak with the technician to understand the detail..

G

One little thing. When you wash the car, try not to aim too much water at the vent above the rear screen. There is just a condensation type tray in there and that won't take much filling to spill over and soak your carpet. Get them to check that as its accessible from the headliner zip I think. Is on my 912 in anycase. 

21 minutes ago, Busybee said:

One little thing. When you wash the car, try not to aim too much water at the vent above the rear screen. There is just a condensation type tray in there and that won't take much filling to spill over and soak your carpet. Get them to check that as its accessible from the headliner zip I think. Is on my 912 in anycase. 

Thanks Busybee. They did mention the above to me.. further testing suggests they have now found around 3 places where water was coming in, based upon moving the angle of the car. So the car was fully resprayed some 4/5 years ago and clearly coach-builders either did not fit trim correctly, or left some of the trim off.. I am so glad the technicians have persevered with this to make it water tight.. They have blown out all the usual areas/channels that could be blocked. Will ask them for a little in depth explanation when I see them next week, as could help others..

G