Impact Bumpers
Ian Comerford

Quality rubber or poly suspension bushes

Just watched this ER film and may change back from poly, especially as mine are now creaking, although it is 6 years since I refreshed my suspension.

Ian, rubber bush version has rubber moulded between two steel sleeves so no rotating parts, the lube on your poly bushes will have dried out so just require a bit of lube and the creaking should stop

45 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

may change back from poly, especially as mine are now creaking, although it is 6 years since I refreshed my suspension.

That’s what I did, (Fenn Lane bushes), after about 6 years of poly. The bushes were worn...

30 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Ian, rubber bush version has rubber moulded between two steel sleeves so no rotating parts, the lube on your poly bushes will have dried out so just require a bit of lube and the creaking should stop

Agreed and I was about to do that but there is the chance they have worn and are getting worse.  I want to use the car as much as possible and have done 7k in the last year, so rubber may be going back on

Rather frustratingly the Superpro's in the rear of mine started creaking a little bit already and they were only lubed when I visited centre gravity.  I spoke to SuperPro about it and mine are the old design which has a life span of about 5 years (the new ones have a lifetime guarantee) - if the crosshatching inside has worn they can't retain the grease and start to creak. 

I am going to replace mine with the new SuperPro versions - mainly because I like how they feel on the car. 

1 hour ago, Northy said:

Rather frustratingly the Superpro's in the rear of mine started creaking a little bit already and they were only lubed when I visited centre gravity.  I spoke to SuperPro about it and mine are the old design which has a life span of about 5 years (the new ones have a lifetime guarantee) - if the crosshatching inside has worn they can't retain the grease and start to creak. 

I am going to replace mine with the new SuperPro versions - mainly because I like how they feel on the car. 

Might can't be far off then, fitted mine back in 2012ish.  Not getting any squeeking or creaking though.

18 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

Just watched this ER film and may change back from poly, especially as mine are now creaking, although it is 6 years since I refreshed my suspension.

Be interesting to see what Chris/Fennlane has to say about that video :)

51 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

I don’t think anyone sells ER bushes here do they, I either import of use a different option.  Any thoughts?

$320 for a kit Ian!! Plus import duty and tax etc

If you’re doing the front A arms?

A bit pricey!

Russ

Edited by Rustybum

Just changing tack slightly but still on topic - What about trailing arm bushes? What are people using? Do poly/Superpro start squeaking? Any pros'cons to monoballs here? Stick to rubber?

I've kind of got to make a quick call on this because I'm at CofG on Friday and am on the fence about doing this 😨

Is there actually anything wrong with genuine Porsche bushes? Replacing 30 plus yr old bushes with new is going to make a difference anyway ... Chris at Center grav reckoned there was no real reason to change to poly 

11 minutes ago, longman said:

Is there actually anything wrong with genuine Porsche bushes? Replacing 30 plus yr old bushes with new is going to make a difference anyway ... Chris at Center grav reckoned there was no real reason to change to poly 

I don't think there is anything specifically wrong however if a rubber compound has been improved (or degraded in the case of CV boots) somehow over the past 30 odd years then it's good to know about it. I have no idea what state my bushes are in but if they're knackered then it's good to know what is my best bet to replace with. My car is a mix of new rubber and poly. The only flexible parts that haven't been replaced are the trailing arm bushes and the rear ARB drop links.

For me, some of the work is a sh1tty job to do that I wouldn't want to have to revisit in a few years time. I just want to get it set up and draw a line under that project.

Just saying the genuine ones have lasted 30 plus years but the aftermarket ones are having issues at 5 yrs or less .. if and when I need any suspension bushes I think I’ll stick with The genuine ones .. 

26 minutes ago, Dr Rock said:

How are you going to fit the Porsche bushes?

Are they a pig to fit Doc?

I’m not familiar with fitting the A arm bushes that’s why I’m asking. 😁

cheers

Russ

So if the ‘proper’ ones stretch, rather than twist, that implies that they must be installed at the correct angle from the get go.  

Is this angle (no stretch) of the rubber with the weight on the wheels or with the suspension hanging?

How are you meant to know what the angle is?  

Doesn’t that also mean that changing your ride height puts the bushes in constant ‘stretch’?

R.Bum.  Video says a special tool is required to fit. 

Edited by Jonny Hart

Somewhere down the page .   They felt like good quality rubber not like crappy cv boots which feel more like vynl theses days ,only time will tell though . They  fit very tightly . 

I have sinced fully restored a moggy convertable and now halfway through a MGA . I have fitted poly to these because the only cheap imported rubber ones available are known to only last a year or two . I have more faith in the American product , so far so good . 

Oops forgot the link 

www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php?/topic/25266-79-sc-rebuild-with-36-install/&page=5

Regarding the ER rubber spring plate bushes, I see that they provide a couple of tubes of superglue to fix them to the spring plate.

Will normal superglue really hold the rubber bush in place (without tearing...) and prevent the twisting that is mentioned in the video? I would have expected some kind of super duper bonding agent would be needed here.

14 hours ago, ALEX P said:

Just changing tack slightly but still on topic - What about trailing arm bushes? What are people using? Do poly/Superpro start squeaking? Any pros'cons to monoballs here? Stick to rubber?

I've kind of got to make a quick call on this because I'm at CofG on Friday and am on the fence about doing this 😨

I should add - my creaking is from trailing arm bushes not a-arm. 

Change them Alex - in for a penny in for a pound.  I wish I had swapped mine out during the process, I've got to back and swap them now. 

I still think I'll put the new formula Superpro's in - they said they have a lifetime guarantee now.  

Edited by Northy

1 hour ago, Northy said:

I should add - my creaking is from trailing arm bushes not a-arm. 

Change them Alex - in for a penny in for a pound.  I wish I had swapped mine out during the process, I've got to back and swap them now. 

I still think I'll put the new formula Superpro's in - they said they have a lifetime guarantee now.  

I'm at cofG tomorrow so will push for a change but they estimate a full day for geo and an extra half day for trailing arm bush but I'm going to unbutton my blouse a button or two and see what they can squeeze into a day. Does it really take 8 hours to do geo?

I've actually got an old set of Superpros from last time which is a pain if the new ones are lifetime guaranteed.

1 hour ago, ALEX P said:

Does it really take 8 hours to do geo

No. Not if everything is to get easy off and on. 

5 hours ago, Northy said:

Where does it say this Lewis, website?