Impact Bumpers
Sign in to follow this  
Targatogo

Hunting when cold

Hi - asking for some advice please. Engine was put back in a couple of weeks ago (long frustrating story) and now the engine hunts when cold. Revs up and down and if left will stall. When taken out for a run she is prone to stalling but once warmed up to temp runs like a dream and no issues when parked up after the run. Could anyone suggest what to check first - there were no issues prior to engine going back in so I suspect something is loose. I have the Bentley manual but could do with some help and an 'idiots guide' for me to follow! The rotor and distributor were replaced before the engine went back in. Many thanks in anticipation.....

First place to start would be vacuum leaks. Basically check any hose that is rubber for a tight fit, splits etc. Also the air box for cracks.

24 minutes ago, SP72 said:

Stale fuel in my experience 

Elaborate?

My car hunted for years and there was never any stale fuel in it.

5 minutes ago, Phill said:

Elaborate?

My car hunted for years and there was never any stale fuel in it.

Maybe not stale, but I put some SUL in at a service station once and it immediately started to hunt.  I added a dollop of redex once back home and it cleared within 10 mins of idling.

im thinking not many fill with SUL at a service station, so either a bad batch or stale as no one wanted to pay 1.50 /litre

It could just be that the mixture is slightly rich, a hunting idle can be a sign of that. I used this method, for which you only need a 3mm key and ears. 

A brilliant mixture setting guide

Taken from this font of CIS knowledge:

Jim’s CIS basement - troubleshooting

Work your way through, especially checking the system pressures as described.

Ok - just an update. Spent some time looking for loose pipes and decided to get a better look by removing the air filter. Took the top off and found a pile of 'bits' in the body of the air intake. It looked as though the air filter had been shaved several times to leave a pile of debris. Once removed and air filter orientation changed, put the top back on the body, started the car up and.......no hunting! Will try again this week as the engine was warm and this may have had an influence as the issue is with the engine cold.

Bizarre findings and I can't think how it would have happened ......not mice as no other evidence. Have ordered another air filter to fit this week.