Upgraded forum subscription packages are now available here - this costs from just 4p a day so please consider supporting the forum. All discussion boards and technical forums will continue to be visible to all users. Forum software add-ons including the Private Messaging and Photo Uploader systems will be deprecated during August for free members.

New posts in the IB Cars and Parts Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads sections are now restricted to supporting members only. Access to the Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads section will be supporting members only from September 1st.

Note that the rules on trade adverts have not changed. IB still does not permit trade ads, but I am working on an 'IB Professional' supporter's option which may be of interest.

andy121

Oil Breather Housing Temp Sensor?

Afternoon gentlemen,

Does oil flow under the oil breather housing when the engine is running? My 85 3.2 has a temp sensor fitted that isnt plugged into anything, and I am looking to add a temp sensor, what it needs to work reliably is a flow of oil past it.

Also what the hell is the sensor in the top of the imaged with the plug that goes nowhere?

20181205_151452.jpg

If you mean the red/orange sensor top right, it is the oil pressure switch

3 minutes ago, PeterK said:

If you mean the red/orange sensor top right, it is the oil pressure switch

No just to the left of that, you can see the grey cable going in, looks like a speed reference sensor of some description 

Crank sensor ?

43 minutes ago, PeterK said:

Crank sensor ?

Yes, but not the ones usually referred to that give input to run the Motronic system, but an unused third sensor.

The speed and engine position sensor (No 6) wires used by the DME come through to the engine way to the left and down and are out of the picture. That is the top dead centre sensor (No 12) wire that is not connected to anything, or used for anything, that ends in a small rubber covered plug up by the throttle body (circled red in the pic).

1427936617_timingmarksender.jpg.22a9e9373961a475696103309799a340.jpg

Image035-1.jpg

Probably originally used by the factory/service centre to check/setup stuff.

Mark

Can`t make out the wire in your photo, this is how the sensor plug should look. In this photo the sensor (white) is already unplugged.As Mark mentioned  the Speed, Reference sensor, they are plugged in below the Cylinder Head Temperature sensor.The sensor screws into no #3 cylinder.

Some Front oil coolers were tapped with a  hole ,at the top between the pipes ,this was for a fan thermostat.sender.(part 39) .This is  going to give a accurate reading, as you would be measuring oil temp, rather than the temp of your engine.

911oil.jpg

removebracket1sm.jpg

I don't have a fan on my cooler, just that sensor left unplugged in the breather housing, no connections on the loom either. maybe it was a replacement part fitted in the past?

Sorry,  I have gone off topic mentioning the Cylinder head and front oil cooler.

Yes, your car was fitted with sensor this as standard. For 1985  there should be a green / black wire with which plugs into the sensor on the breather housing.The wire will be sheathed, coloured grey or black. This wire runs directly back to the oil temperature gauge.

(If you look Bentley manual  ,you see Instrument panel wiring diagram )

Whats probably happened is someone has not reattached the wire post engine removal.The wire be in there somewhere.