Impact Bumpers
Northy

Recommendations for a battery impact wrench

I’d quite like to as Santa for a battery impact wrench for Christmas.  Anyone got one they’d recommend? 

Main purpose is to speed up getting wheels on and off etc. So doesn’t need to have mega torque? 

I have just changed over to Milwaukee cordless tools.

If you get an impact gun that will unscrew all wheel nuts it will be too powerful to use on wheel nuts.

My recommendation would be to get a medium torque gun - always start and finish torqued fixings by hand but use the impact gun for the donkey work.

I have seen careless ops strip / damage bolts and even damage wheels because the impact gun was the wrong size for the job.

Northy, do you not already have other battery power tools? I tend to keep same branding so that batteries are common across the range :) Could help you decide perhaps?

Paul

I’ve got a Milwaukee one too.

Theyre quite reasonably priced. Screwfix etc do them.

You can turn it down for tightening your nuts.😜

But I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want full torque when unfastening🤔

Surely you need the extra torque torque for that?

Regards

Russ

If you start and finish with a wrench then a cordless drill will do the rest. I'm sure you already have one of those.

3 minutes ago, Phill said:

If you start and finish with a wrench then a cordless drill will do the rest. I'm sure you already have one of those.

Hmmm...  Connecting a 19mm wheel nut socket to a drill will always be a bodge. 

I’m looking at getting a Makita 1/2 inch impact driver. Looks like the lowest setting is about 60 ft lbs.  This is perfect for putting wheels on to finish with a proper torque wrench.

I already have the Makita drill/driver and charger, very good quality. 

I have had this gun for a while: 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dtw285z-18v-li-ion-lxt-brushless-cordless-impact-wrench-bare/7786V?tc=OA4&ds_kid=92700022882493349&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244066&ds_rl=1249796&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249484&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-KSC_8ek3wIVzuR3Ch1hAAk0EAQYASABEgLddPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_container

To be honest I only went Makita because I have other tools and already have the batteries etc.

Has three settings and a max of 280Nm. Not much on a car it hasn't undone apart from hub nuts.

After threading an insert on the rally car, and on the advice of my mechanic friends, it is only ever used for undoing things, not doing them back up.

Brilliant gun, light and compact, ergonomic and battery lasts well. For the race/rally cars with have Dewalt and MAC guns and they are about 800Nm and will undo anything, but bloody heavy and overkill for the home mechanic.

^ So do you use that with a hex to 1/2 inch adapter for use with standard sockets?

Somehow that doesn’t seem right when there are guns with native 1/2 inch drives. 

34 minutes ago, Jonny Hart said:

^ So do you use that with a hex to 1/2 inch adapter for use with standard sockets?

Somehow that doesn’t seem right when there are guns with native 1/2 inch drives. 

The link Chris posted is a bit squiffy but the product does have a 1/2 inch drive:

• Max. Torque: 280Nm
  • ½" Square Drive
  • Variable Speed
  • All-Metal Gearbox
  • Electronic Brake
  • Rubber-Coated Grip
  • LED Work Light
  • Battery Indicator
  • Phosphorescent Bumper
  • Does Not Include Battery or Charger

Direct Link: https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dtw285z-18v-li-ion-lxt-brushless-cordless-impact-wrench-bare/7786v

17 hours ago, Northy said:

I’d quite like to as Santa for a battery impact wrench for Christmas.  Anyone got one they’d recommend? 

I'd maybe prioritise weight and size over outright torque - means you will use it more rather than just break it out when something is stuck.

9 hours ago, Leicestershire said:

My recommendation would be to get a medium torque gun - always start and finish torqued fixings by hand but use the impact gun for the donkey work.

Very much this.

I can recommend the Dewalt 1/2” impact gun Northy.  I bought one to replace my ageing Sealey, which itself was a good unit and not at all expensive.  A few of the race teams are using the Mac / Dewalt, which is roughly the same unit.  Three torque settings so plenty of control and it is yet to be defeated 👍

2 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

Not sure if you're getting a bit confused between an impact wrench and impact driver Jonny :) most impact wrenches are 1/2" drive or larger (we've a 3/4" drive at work rated over 1000Nm)

Personally, I don't think an impact wrench has much use on cars aside from perhaps stubborn hub nuts or perhaps as quick way up undoing wheel nuts. 

I love impact drivers for DIY use. Can drive a wood screw into stubborn wood in a jiffy :D

Paul

1 hour ago, Sidewaysfun said:

Not sure if you're getting a bit confused between an impact wrench and impact driver Jonny :) most impact wrenches are 1/2" drive or larger (we've a 3/4" drive at work rated over 1000Nm)

Personally, I don't think an impact wrench has much use on cars aside from perhaps stubborn hub nuts or perhaps as quick way up undoing wheel nuts. 

I love impact drivers for DIY use. Can drive a wood screw into stubborn wood in a jiffy :D

Paul

No, I get it.  The OP wants to undo wheel nuts so he needs a wrench. 

Edited by Jonny Hart

Don’t buy anything Makita from Screwfix. I’m a big fan of both, but whilst Screwfix are hard to beat on a lot of stuff they’re not even close on Makita tools or batteries.

Edit: Makita seem to suffer from knock-offs more than most too, particularly the LXT batteries so due diligence needed. Fastfix are a good online supplier, or a local builders’ merchant.

I have a Bosch Professional GDS 18 V-EC 250. Battery lasts for ages and it's powerful enough for most things. The only nut I've had problems with was the castellated nut on one of my SC's front control arms. With patience and lots of Rost Off it eventually surrendered.

Handy as can be but I wouldn’t use an impact wrench on ib wheel nuts. Ally. Even the boys at my local tyre fitters use a breaker bar and socket to limit damage to the ally nuts. 

I bought a Ryobi as a budget purchase and as I already had some of their One+ tools.  Did the trick on a flywheel nut I couldn't shift using my, ahem, svelte figure and breaker.  Only get occasional use so not sure how tough it will prove, but the drill has been great, and battery life very good.

2 hours ago, Busybee said:

Even the boys at my local tyre fitters use a breaker bar and socket to limit damage to the ally nuts. 

:o I take my wheels into them in the back of the Saab: don't let them near jacking the car up....

Lewis, is it really going to save you that much time compared to the outlay? Unless you are planning a lot of spannering in the future it's going to be a bit of a one trick tool. Just being the voice of reason here.......

1 hour ago, Dr Rock said:

:o I take my wheels into them in the back of the Saab: don't let them near jacking the car up....

Ahh they're a good bunch down Sammy Tyres. Boys know I love my cars and treat them very well. Probably think I'm nuts mind. I take my jacking point plate thingy and pretty much set up the jack myself. 

2 hours ago, Phill said:

Lewis, is it really going to save you that much time compared to the outlay? Unless you are planning a lot of spannering in the future it's going to be a bit of a one trick tool. Just being the voice of reason here.......

In my opinion (I'm not a professional mechanic) an impact wrench is not only convenient but also useful in its own right because the impacts are helpful to loosen stubborn bolts/nuts. I reckon that a steady high torque applied with a breaker bar on a seized fastener has more chances of damaging it.

On the other hand I agree that an impact wrench can damage ally nuts like those on the wheels. But in this case the damage tends to be on the surface of the nut and not on the thread.

2 hours ago, WP0ZZZ said:

In my opinion (I'm not a professional mechanic) an impact wrench is not only convenient but also useful in its own right because the impacts are helpful to loosen stubborn bolts/nuts. I reckon that a steady high torque applied with a breaker bar on a seized fastener has more chances of damaging it.

On the other hand I agree that an impact wrench can damage ally nuts like those on the wheels. But in this case the damage tends to be on the surface of the nut and not on the thread.

Seconded. Also they make light work of spinning things off like undoing strut top nuts, with a wrench you just rotate the damper insert or have to fiddle around with allen keys in the shaft.

One of the best tools I've bought but I'll iterate again - only for undoing things, not re-doing them!

On 12/16/2018 at 4:08 PM, Jonny Hart said:

I've been told never use "standard" sockets on a gun. They can shatter due to the hammer action. You need a set of special impact sockets, they're usually black and matt in appearance.