Recommendations for a battery impact wrench

Northy

Thanks for the advice, all useful. 

No I don’t need one, but I’d like one.

I like doing my own spannering on the 911 and I have recently picked up a jap 4x4 to turn into an adventure vehicle, that has 6 bolt wheels and I’ve just picked up some new rims, ripe for mud tyres 😬.  

With two young kids and work, I don’t get a huge amount of time on the cars at the moment, so anything that speeds things up is probably worth it... Probably. 

My 911 runs steel nuts and longer studs, so it would be useful for them. Plus the benefits of undoing stubborn bits. 

I’ll have a look at those links. Cheers 👍

1 hour ago, Northy said:

I have recently picked up a jap 4x4 to turn into an adventure vehicle, that has 6 bolt wheels and I’ve just picked up some new rims, ripe for mud tyres 😬.  

What have you bought Lewis? 

I love my 4x4, can't wait for some snow

11 hours ago, World Citizen said:

What have you bought Lewis? 

I love my 4x4, can't wait for some snow

Meet "The Beast" - year 2000 Mitsubishi Delica.  Busy collecting a few parts to make it into an overland style adventure vehicle.  Been working through all the common faults and getting it ready for some longer trips next year.  Got some nice 15 x 9 split rims to go on with some 31" tyres, if I can get them to fit without doing too much of a lift.  It's basically a Pajero underneath - full 4x4, locking diffs etc. 

IMG_0159.thumb.jpg.1192f0ab0eae98b365c7fbf187bb902a.jpg

Destination is something along these lines (with a storm trooper or dazzle camo look 😬)

1108725717__86(1).thumb.JPG.fea3aab1f39646b548192243824753bd.JPG

15 hours ago, Northy said:

Thanks for the advice, all useful. 

No I don’t need one, but I’d like one.

Blardy right. Surely you can never have enough power tools.

2 hours ago, Northy said:

Meet "The Beast" - year 2000 Mitsubishi Delica.  Busy collecting a few parts to make it into an overland style adventure vehicle.  Been working through all the common faults and getting it ready for some longer trips next year.  Got some nice 15 x 9 split rims to go on with some 31" tyres, if I can get them to fit without doing too much of a lift.  It's basically a Pajero underneath - full 4x4, locking diffs etc. 

IMG_0159.thumb.jpg.1192f0ab0eae98b365c7fbf187bb902a.jpg

Crikey - How do you get into the back?

Tell me it's not a Delica coupe?

6 minutes ago, ALEX P said:

Blardy right. Surely you can never have enough power tools.

Crikey - How do you get into the back?

Tell me it's not a Delica coupe?

ha ha ha it's got a sliding door on the other side and a rear door. 

I actually wanted an earlier one - they're mega.  But they are largely rusted away and pretty dangerous in a head on crash - you are the crumple zone. 

Here are two modded monsters. 😍

IMG_0283.thumb.jpg.f311162c2cf49ac2998187f3cffe699b.jpgIMG_0284.thumb.jpg.ebfb146c2e200cda6c345376a68e05b3.jpg

they look pretty cool modded :cool:  almost a military uni-mog vibe about them. Theres' something quite exhiliarting about being in a proper 4x4 in the snow or really bad weather, you feel indestructible :steering:

mega Lewis, great choice. love the beige one with the Hella's

They are just too tall to drive under my new build or into my garage

I can highly recommend Old Man Emu and BF Goodrich A/T tyres and invest in some proper snow tyres, the people you'll tow out of ditches will thank you

Too much power isn't always good thing 😀

Worked with this company to develop a lighter super powerful wheel gun when F1 went from fueled pit stops to no fuel pit stops

Go on Lewis, treat yourself 😎

3GNeAOIHSbR_dX8DLCVxJ9aSB8evhusgipvMe3AB-Xg.jpg.a03c4e2acaf11ae5db7f39eb546224ba.jpg

We weren't breaking guns but mechanics so I started investigating carbon exo-skeletons to  protect the guys wrists

I'd go for something Makita, big fan of their stuff

A mate in the local MAN truck dealership uses an LXT Makita to undo truck wheel nuts, am sure he said it cracks upto 1,600Nm. Check the specs, as most of the budget end of the impact wrench market isn’t worth bothering with.

I’ve got crates full of Makita gear including a first generation LXT impact driver that has no right to still be working given the abuse it has taken. It must be ten years old now. It’s been dropped countless times yet still works. 

Treated myself to a Dewalt 1/2 inch gun 2 X 5Ah batteries and charger, yes its a bit heavy but it does the job. Bought from Amazon all fits in its own box for about £400 which is very good compared to Milwaukee. Mate has got all Milwaukee which are good but the difference in price is hard to justify for the name and the amount I use it, time messing about with cars is closely monitored. Correct sockets and extension bars are a must and make sure you have the gun in a straight line. Battery is so mobile as well.

Baz 

Reddevil is right about not using standard sockets to impact on or off as they can shatter; use only the black impact sockets. In saying that, it’s ok to use standard sockets to spin nuts on or off once the tightening torque has been broken, say with a ‘T’ bar.

D.

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, Phill said:

@Northy Lewis, did you get a gun in the end? Having poo poo'd the idea originally I could have done with one the other day when dealing with the suspension on my fiat :blush:

Yeah I bought a ryobi one - the battery can go on lots of other stuff so it’s pretty handy.  Seems pretty good 👍

• 1 month later...

Angus has a point....I always break the nuts with a bar, then spin them off with a socket / ratchet, ....this is despite having an air gun near by! It seems too much hassle to get the compressor running and to feed out the air line! Maybe an electric hand gun would be more useful but I seldom use mine as it has seen better days, or at least the battery has! Guess that in a commercial situation, it would be different as time is money, but in a domestic situation, there is no great rush.

David