Dead lights

MonkeyChap

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So...had time to tinker. The failure was exactly as R2D2 predicted - clever droid !  They're quite easy to take apart, and as you can see in the photo below, the retaining plug had cracked, allowing the spindle to spin freely. I found lots of burnt grease, but no burnt-out contacts. Putting it back together should be fairly easy as the twin contacts (58L/R) show twin track wear tracks on the hexagonal contact block.  I've also traced all the connections and they seem to be OK. Kinda baffling why it wasn't working.

headlight switch parts.jpg

Well...my connector (between 75 and 56 positions) certainly gave me headlights, but only full-beam (regardless of indicator stalk position), so maybe there's more to the mystery of the switch wiring ?  It seems unlikely my full beam selector died at the same time as the headlight switch. 

Switch is now rebuilt, and I'm just waiting for delivery of some m3 socket bolts and nylocks to put the casing back on.

Thanks again !  I'm suspicious that it isn't that switch though. I think there's something else going on with the headlight switch - i.e. some of the other terminals are involved in the main/dipped circuit. The lack of a decent schematic for UK cars is a real pain though. If I ever get to the bottom of it, I'll draw one up. 

PS - I've ordered one of Jonny's fuseboxes, so should have relays soon !

I think the important point made is "power comes from the battery to the ignition switch to the headlight pull switch to the hi/low switch to the fuse box to the headlights. "

Basically the whole circuit takes all the power so I believe it's likely you will need to repair your dipswitch ( the recognised weak link in the circuit) as well I'm afraid. This is covered in the last link I sent. On the bright side these repairs plus your new fuse and relay box should ensure you have no issues in the future and you can go from frustration to satisfaction when you get it all done! BTW get an online fuse for your instrument lights fitted while you're on!

Should have said to get your switch finished first before doing anything else. Easy to get into an issue if you're working on multiple parts of the same problem! Also get this sorted before fitting Jonny's box for the same reason! Good luck!

The saga continues...

My Classic Retrofit fuseboard has arrived, so I spent a bit of time mapping out the fuse wiring last night in the garage. I also tested the lights again, and in the quiet of the garage I noticed the click of a relay every time I connected 12V to the sidelights. I can't see any lights relays on the wiring diagrams, and from previous posts in this thread it seems like they're not factory fit for an '84...so somebody must have fitted them. Trouble is, I can't find them. The noise is somewhere under the bonnet, but I can't figure out where. Before I start ripping the car apart, is there a likely location for the relay ?  Ignition was off at the time. 

Ian

The saga continues...
My Classic Retrofit fuseboard has arrived, so I spent a bit of time mapping out the fuse wiring last night in the garage. I also tested the lights again, and in the quiet of the garage I noticed the click of a relay every time I connected 12V to the sidelights. I can't see any lights relays on the wiring diagrams, and from previous posts in this thread it seems like they're not factory fit for an '84...so somebody must have fitted them. Trouble is, I can't find them. The noise is somewhere under the bonnet, but I can't figure out where. Before I start ripping the car apart, is there a likely location for the relay ?  Ignition was off at the time. 

Ian

If previous owner used the West relay upgrade kit, they’ll be near the fuse board. How many relays do you have? I believe some have added relays using the Porsche round relays and mounted them in spare mounts above the fuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just checked - I've got:

2 - Fog Lights according to manual, but seems to trigger horn

3 - Horn according to manual, God knows what it's actually connected to

5 - Power Windows...maybe

7 - Not connected according to manual, but I've got one

Wiring this fuseboard in is going to be a fecking nightmare

fuses.jpg

Your relays are fine, relay 7 (on the left) is for the fuel pump.  It should be a red one with the coil diode but this is not critical on UK cars.

All impact bumper cars have a red wire linking fuse 11 and 16. Can’t see this in you photo. 

Basic check:

1 fogs

2,3,4   From light switch

5,6,7,8  from dim/dip

9,10 from hazard switch

11-16 are all on with ignition or car running 

17-20 all permanent live.  

21 - power windows