SSI's and footwell blowers

Hi People, hope everyone had a good Xmas.

A quick question, when fitting SSI and deleting the engine blower, I believe (and I could be wrong) there is a way to wire in the footwell blowers to help in the heated air circulation.

If correct anyone have the details?

As a side question I have noticed that since the engine rebuild, SSI etc. the car seems to be running hotter than before is this normal or just be being paranoid :unsure:

12 hours ago, mean in green said:

Actually the motor running hotter according to the gauge, 

The gauge now sits at the first marking (8 o’clock) always thought it  used to sit lower.

Anil, thanks for the link

20 hours ago, Beaky said:

A quick question, when fitting SSI and deleting the engine blower, I believe (and I could be wrong) there is a way to wire in the footwell blowers to help in the heated air circulation.

If you still have autoheat the link Anil posted will sort you out, I ran with that mod for some time.

If you have backdated your heating you need a different approach to switch on the blowers, I can not find the post were I detailed doing this on my 3.2, but basically I spliced into the footwell blower activation wire and used the redundant rear wiper switch to make them manually operated at full speed only.

I only switch on the blowers to clear the front screen when I first start the car in the winter, after that they are not needed and the heating is more than effective without the footwell and engine bay blowers.

Mark 

6 hours ago, SilverWT said:

If you still have autoheat the link Anil posted will sort you out, I ran with that mod for some time.

If you have backdated your heating you need a different approach to switch on the blowers,

Mark 

Hi Mark,

I have had SSI fitted, rear fan delete and all new ducting from an earlier model fitted, so is that autoheat and full bcck date? here's a picture

download.axd?file=0;1003133&where=&f=IMG_3677.jpg

I backdated my heat with some old twin levers between the seats and they have a micro switch on them which engages when the levers are lifted.  I don’t know what year it was from but assume pre SC.

But then....

Paragon had a genuine all original super low mileage 3.2 Speedster in a while back.  It had manual levers between the seats.   Wonder how it operates the footwell blowers?  Same micro switch?

18 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

Paragon had a genuine all original super low mileage 3.2 Speedster in a while back.  It had manual levers between the seats.   Wonder how it operates the footwell blowers?  Same micro switch?

I've also removed the ugly heater control box and backdated to the manual levers. When the levers are pulled up, the micro-switch now enables the footwell blowers on their "middle" speed setting, which delivers more than enough heat from the SSIs to clear the screen.

I was under the impression that the Speedster had the backdated manual levers but didn't have footwell blowers fitted, as per the Club Sport.

On 12/31/2018 at 4:07 PM, Anil said:

I've also removed the ugly heater control box and backdated to the manual levers. When the levers are pulled up, the micro-switch now enables the footwell blowers on their "middle" speed setting, which delivers more than enough heat from the SSIs to clear the screen.

I was under the impression that the Speedster had the backdated manual levers but didn't have footwell blowers fitted, as per the Club Sport.

Interesting.  I would have thought that an open top car would need all the help it could get for heating.  

So how do Clubsport and Speedsters switch the rear heater fan on?

• 1 month later...

Having no demister in these current conditions has been a real pain so today I completed the footwell blower relay configuration (post 114 on the link below) and all is well.

The footwell blowers now come on when the heater dial is moved past position 4.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/388445-carrera-removing-engine-compartment-heater-blower-6.html

Hello, I bought a spare heater relay a few years back and completed the jumper wire modification.  All worked good for a year or so with footwell blowers coming on with the autoheat in position 4 or above but no engine bay fan connected. 

The FW blowers have now stopped working! 

I can get them blowing if I bridge the round relay connections in the luggage compartment. I have tried a new round relay. 

Any ideas? Thanks

10 hours ago, Timmy said:

Hello, I bought a spare heater relay a few years back and completed the jumper wire modification.  All worked good for a year or so with footwell blowers coming on with the autoheat in position 4 or above but no engine bay fan connected. 

The FW blowers have now stopped working! 

I can get them blowing if I bridge the round relay connections in the luggage compartment. I have tried a new round relay. 

Any ideas? Thanks

Which jumper method did you use as there’s two on the pelican thread, I did the internal wire one as opposed to the circuit board side jumper.

if yours has suddenly stopped then there is the potential that the jumper has failed, so might be worth investigating. Why not raise the question on pelican as there are several “experts” that maybe able to help.

I wasn't aware there were 2 options. I opened the heater relay box from the engine bay and installed a jumper wire. I understood the Mod removed the reed switch and the need for the engine blower to work in order for footwell blowers to operate. However, as electrics/ soldering isn't my speciality I will check if my soldered jumper is still connected.