Impact Bumpers
MikeS911

CDI and Ignition Wiring

Hi All

Can anyone confirm which CDI unit would have been on a 1976/7 2.7 engine/vehicle, I believe it should be a 3 Pin CDI unit?. I have a been looking at a vehicle for a friend who got a car without any ignition parts even the distributor is missing and all the engine wiring either burnt or hacked away.

Can anyone confirm the ignition wiring etc. I have an old distributor taken from  1974 2.7 would this be good to use?  Is the tacho for this age vehicle points driven. Hope someone can help.

Thanks MikeS

Yes it will be a 3 pin CDI unit and a distributor from a 1974 2.7 should be okay. Sounds like he may need another wiring loom possibly from someone like Kroon.

Regards

Ian

Thanks Ian, I can build a loom just need a little info. Possibly an engine wiring diargram

MikeS

Just look at an appropriate electrical diagram for the year, or the engine harness, as either would make it obvious is its 3 of 6 pin. The 3 pin CDI wiring is a piece of cake. And they run much better with it fitted. You often see cars on ebay running conventional points systems, I get with yours its missing. Im just making the point that the cars set up to run like a VW beetle, do not start any where near as well or run as well as the CDI set up

I would use the 3 pin, with the 74 2.7 dizzy. Set the timing at 38 BTDC @ 6000rpm (or 35 at 5000) with the vac line off, then either plug the  vac line or use it. They start better with the vac line off, as its 5 to 10  BTDC at idle. The vac retard on the dizzy  sucks it back to either 0 or 5ATDC both for emissions. You can road test the difference there is not much in it, and i before the vac line blocked for better starting. Always time the dizzy at max not at idle, then just leave the timing at idle where ever it lands, this will account for wear in the dizzy. A brand new one you could use the idle setting, but even then the books specify to check max advance.

The wiring is a piece of cake, I could talk you through it, but you need the right coil. 

Edited by Strictly

Thanks for the info Strickly.

I have a couple of wiring diagrams taken from Pelican but I am not convinced they are correct as I have heard people say they do not follow their cars wiring.

MikeS

I havent used the link for a while, but there was (and probally still is) a link to the PDFs of the genuine workshop manuals + bentleys + TB's. Reallt great  resource from IB forum, that will have the diagrams in it. Your 76 wiring is slightly more complex if you have a fuel pump realy, TTV and AAR for the CIS but, the actual ignition side is a piece of cake

https://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22341-pdf-manuals-download-all-ib-years/

The 75 CIS (73.5 to 75) was easier for the CIS, in any case you can follow the diagrams, and I know it fairly inside and out, so if you get stuck just ask

Edited by Strictly

If you are going to make the CDI loom just be aware of the shielding.   There are two braided shields which are crimped to a single spade connector at the box end.   One of them has the distributor signal wire inside and the other has the coil return.  These wires run inside the braid as it is a tube.   The braids terminate with a ring terminal by the distributor and at the coil ‘1’ post.

11 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

If you are going to make the CDI loom just be aware of the shielding.   There are two braided shields which are crimped to a single spade connector at the box end.   One of them has the distributor signal wire inside and the other has the coil return.  These wires run inside the braid as it is a tube.   The braids terminate with a ring terminal by the distributor and at the coil ‘1’ post.

Hi Jonny. Thanks for that Info. MikeS