Saying hello! Prospective SC owner

nphelix

Hello All!

Nice to meet you all. I've joined the fold after reading many many positive recommendations on PH about the wealth of advice and friendly members on the IB forums.

I'm a 993 owner - 1996 Carrera 2 manual coupe, but have always had an eye on a SC, whale tail free, as my dream 911 one day.

My 993 has been a wonderful introduction to air cooled 911 ownership having previously owned a 996 Carrera 4.

You might shoot me for saying this but having owned a MGB GT 7 years ago, that put my wife and I off 70s car ownership for a good while, but I'm slowly getting her around to the idea of a late 70s or early 80s SC as being a much much more reliable entry point to classic motoring! 

Question: Do I need to be handy with a spanner to own a SC? I've have fantastic underground car storage in central London but no mechanical skills whatsoever. I'd use the car approximately once per week, all year around, for 1-2 hours at a time.

All the best to you all and Happy New Year!

Nick

Can't imagine an SC being less reliable or troublesome than a 993 possibly more reliable as they have less electronics.  No need to be a spanner man, though it will always help to be able diagnose anything simple.

You'll find stepping back in time to an SC, a little more rudimentary than a 993 but it will all be familiar.

They're perfectly capable cars, although mine isn't an SC I wouldn't think twice about jumping in it tomorrow morning and doing a +1000 mile road trip.

Buy wise and you'll be fine.

Just avoid anything rusty.

2 hours ago, Nige said:

Can't imagine an SC being less reliable or troublesome than a 993 possibly more reliable as they have less electronics.

Think he meant the MG...........

I find the SC very easy to work on for the most part, it's a relatively simple bit of kit. If you can learn to spanner it could potentially save you a fortune and if you have a snug underground garage it's the perfect excuse to learn.

Welcome.

Thanks for the words of encouragement chaps! 

The 993 has certainly had the odd electrical gremlin along the way so a car with less to go wrong sounds like a step in the right direction. I’m also looking for a more raw driving experience for the couple of hours I get to use the car and the 993 feels positively refined on most occasions unless you’ve got it up at 6000 rpm!

Where is the market for 100-120,000 mile car which has had the typical bodywork issues addressed and a top end rebuild? £40-50k?

• 3 months later...

Hello All!

My 993 is now sold and I am looking to fill the gap with an early SC! I went to see a really cool 78 car yesterday evening, a little rough around the edges but bags of charm.

However...24 owners from new (!!!!) 🙁 

Have attached a photo as colour combo was super but I think with an average of 1 new owner ever 1-2 years, I'd struggle to sell the car when I'd come to sell one day.

Anybody know of any other cars coming onto the market?

Cheers!

Nick

hV5Yl5Y5QtWOOQc3MX16Sg.jpg

FRgwNreoTb6HC6+ERoWb1A.jpg

Edited by nphelix

Hi Nick

Mine will be available soon. It's a late car mind, sport but original bar SSIs and stuff you can't see. I've just done a 🐋 tail delete on it althought it was optioned with it.  Engine build and gearbox build recently Pm me if youre interested. 

Dave

Don't worry too much about owners - it was fairly common for everybody that came near a car to be recorded on the V5. Mine officially has had 10 owners but a V888 enquiry (sadly no longer possible for a history check) showed actual number was 5 - one owner had 3 different finance companies involved!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick

I can speak from some experience having owned a number of 911s including a 911 3.0 Carerra, and 993 and currently a 911sc. The sc has been bullet proof and my wife loves it! We took the car for a roadtrip around Ireland last year, and the sc was fun, reliable and people loved the car wherever we went. The classic looks are very popular.

The car is up for sale on the classified part of the forum, but I imagine that you've probably found a car by now.

On 4/28/2019 at 8:54 AM, nphelix said:

Thanks chaps. If I was to inspect, who is the SC inspection guru down south?

Our own John Glynn does a fine line in valuations, I'm sure he'd be a good man to inspect, or at least recommend an inspection service near to the car you are looking at. As Phill alluded to above, no SC is totally rust free, the youngest is 37 years old. Even restored examples get rust issues. In my experience and reading stuff here, most expensive items are bodywork/rust. Most troublesome items (on an SC specifically) are 1; CIS fuel injection.... fuel pressure, control pressure, Warm up regs etc. A good one starts first time from proper cold, idles a little high at first then settles, controls idle speed correctly and runs cleanly. 2; electrics.... Almost every car has been buggered about with, alarms, immobilisers, dodgy stereos etc etc and each time the wiring will have been altered, chopped or worse 'scotch locked' 👹😩🤬 and probably some other emojis too. This can cause headaches down the road, the wiring is a little archaic and can be a minefield. Whatever you buy, change the fusebox to a classic retrofit version (no allegiance) they are just good.

Good luck and with a smart purchase and regular servicing 250,000 miles in an SC should be no problem.

Chris.

I bought my 82 SC a couple of years ago and used Andy Prill to carry out a detailed inspection including a test drive. His report was excellent and allowed me to negotiate with the dealer and they ended up doing a considerable amount of work inc full service, 4 new tyres, 4 new koni shocks and quite a few other bits and bobs - all at no extra cost

His report was very comprehensive and gave me a lot of confidence through the buying process. 

That does look like an interesting car. My concerns would be about resale time. Most prospective owners seem to look for originality. Those that are looking for a "restomod" seem to like cars from an established outfit such as Paul Stevens (or Singer!). I wonder how big the market is for buyers of a car like this? I imagine that it is quite small and the buyers will have specific spec in mind.

That said, I do love cars like this, but I would want to enjoy the journey of converting the car during my ownership. Isn't that where most of the fun is to be had?

Nick, you wouldn’t use that car “all year round” as you requested, it has no heating. Not a cheap fix, especially if the heater panel has been blanked off and all the blowers etc dispensed with....

Chris

On 1/7/2019 at 12:42 PM, nphelix said:

You might shoot me for saying this but having owned a MGB GT 7 years ago, that put my wife and I off 70s car ownership for a good while, but I'm slowly getting her around to the idea of a late 70s or early 80s SC as being a much much more reliable entry point to classic motoring! 

No heating will not help with the task of convincing your wife about classic cars!

I had a bright orange 911 3.0 Carrera with no heating. My wife wouldn't go anywhere in it, as it had no heating and no AC and not even a sunroof.

Come and look at my car for sale on here. 911sc Targa with heating (and ac)!

Mines up for sale at the moment on PH and on here. PM me if interested. [emoji106]. SC loads of work done on running gear....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone - time to draw this thread to a close. You’ve all been incredibly helpful! 

After test driving a number of cars that included two SCs, a couple of 2.7s and a few 912s, I’ve decided to go for a nicely restored 912 which I collect this evening.

Any recommendations of useful resources / forums for the 912 that I can join?