Impact Bumpers
keith912

Brakes on 1977 911

Hi, I would like to improve my brakes as not as good as they should be. My 911 has an SC engine fitted. I have a really firm pedal but not a lot of stopping power even after fitting red stuff pads. I have heard about a Boxter front caliper upgrade and wondered if this would be worthwhile? I should check my discs just incase they are glazed and pads not biting. Would old brake fluid give a very good pedal but not enough bite? Best Keith

Doesn't sound right so there must be something wrong and would be worth checking. Do you have a servo on a 77?

There is divided opinion on the Boxster conversion. I have done it and am very pleased with the difference.

No, new discs, calipers off EBay and the adapters, I think, of the forum here. It was a long time ago. 

Might you be better off during a servo a la an SC?

15 minutes ago, Phill said:

Might you be better off during a servo a la an SC?

Fitting, I mean't....

Servo will give more power, boxter callipers will give more feel. I like my front boxter conversion, standard 3.2 brakes tended to lock with little warning, new setup much better IMHO. Can’t remember if they fit under 15” rims, check but I think so.

I have boxter brakes frt/rear with brake bias valve fitted to rear circuit on my 72, they fit under 15" rims no problem.

Great feel and stopping power compared to the original ali s caliper setup previous.

Thanks very much for advice, will check out servo fixings first as my 911 is an Australian car so may have the provision for one but not supplied with one. Then the Boxter conversion. K

I kept the original 3.2 rear callipers, as have many here. They are good enough when in good nick and although a bit heavier than a boxter calliper, while the front adaptors are readily available and cheap, the rears used to be BIG money although I note that Rebel racing now sell them @ $250 F and $350 R. 

Search for Mark's (silver WT) informative article on the swap on his 3.2.

Chris.

3 hours ago, keith912 said:

Thanks very much for advice, will check out servo fixings first as my 911 is an Australian car so may have the provision for one but not supplied with one. Then the Boxter conversion. K

You are probably best ensuring your brakes are in a good condition first, this can be quite cheap and easy to achieve to get the basics right.  Then I would go for a servo next as any future upgrade will be compromised without a servo.

14 hours ago, keith912 said:

I have a really firm pedal but not a lot of stopping power even after fitting red stuff pads.

I think you are starting in the wrong direction, harder pads are going to need a lot more pedal pressure to give the same stopping power as standard pads until they are good and hot. Standard pads will give more stopping "bite" when cold and in normal driving, but they will fade more when really made to work hard e.g. used on track.

Compared to modern cars all IBs ,servo or not, need a lot more pressure on the pedal. In good condition all IB brakes work very well as standard and should be capable of locking the wheels at speed, not that you would normally aim to do that! 

Mark

Agreed - standard SC brakes are pretty good in correct working order.

Also think about pad material in terms of the co-efficient of friction.  Redstuff IIRC are not very high friction pads, meaning not much more than stock.  Something like a Pagid RS4-2 or even DS2500 are higher and a full race pad like a DS3000 is higher again, but with the operating temp caveat noted above.

While I am not a huge advocate of stainless braided hoses over new rubber brake hoses (because very little benefit), it is worth checking you are not on original 77 hoses.  They can swell internally and restrict the flow of fluid.  This may not be obvious until it is so restricted that you start to get a lot of pad drag after brake application often only noticed once things get really hot.

Hi.

I fitted a servo to my 77, and use an electric vacuum pump set up for the vacuum operation, I used a 3.2 Servo and pedal set.. I also have Boxster brakes front and rear, Great set up for someone getting a little older. The servo takes a lot of effort out the pedal.

See pic of my Servo installation, image.thumb.png.a9e27a23fb1188c476172d645e02b842.png

Mike

Excellent advice, red stuff pads did improve the braking I feel but will check hoses as I have a car before that had the same thing and it was down to the old hoses

K