Headlining clips

sjwright944

Good morning all,

Can anyone tell me which headlining clips go where please?

There appear to be two types, one for the thinner edges (which I think is only the rear screen edge) and one for the thicker edges. Just want to check which ones go where before I put them in the wrong place.

Thanks

PET says fastening clamp 999 591 336 01 at the rear, U-Clamp 999 591 342 02 at the front. 

Ive never seen clamps used though and certainly don’t have them on my car. I just stuck the edges to the frame. 

Out of personal preference, I've always used them when replacing headliners. They hold the headliner in place as you tension the other end before the glue is fully cured. Never encountered any issues relating to the clips when stringing in the screens if you have them located correctly. 

16 hours ago, fat fuchs said:

Out of personal preference, I've always used them when replacing headliners. They hold the headliner in place as you tension the other end before the glue is fully cured. Never encountered any issues relating to the clips when stringing in the screens if you have them located correctly. 

Thanks for all of your replies, I think I'll use some but won't go mad. I've used some of the thinner ones at the rear screen aperture and they're nice and flush so shouldn't cause any problems with the seal. 

Andrew, when you did yours did you just use them at the front and rear screens, not bothering with the rear side windows?

3 hours ago, sjwright944 said:

Thanks for all of your replies, I think I'll use some but won't go mad. I've used some of the thinner ones at the rear screen aperture and they're nice and flush so shouldn't cause any problems with the seal. 

Andrew, when you did yours did you just use them at the front and rear screens, not bothering with the rear side windows?

Yes that's right. I've removed/replaced around half a dozen headliners and upon removal, they all had clips across the front screen at the top (typically 4 -5) and on the rear window, I usually find 4 across the top next to the roof vents and 2 on each side of the window. Never found any on the rear qtr windows.

Cheers

FF

• 1 year later...

Hi guys

sorry to sort of hijack thread but any tips for a newbie doing a headliner replacement? I’ve seen the YouTube videos but is this doable for a DIYer?

mine has sunroof and I’m looking to order loads of bulldog clips 

does the environment need to be heated? Best left for warmer weather?

thanks 

Warmer weather will help but not essential. It's a job that can easily be done at home but you will need to take your time and be aware that you need to remove all your glass other than the doors.

• Make sure you use hi-temp adhesive
  • Bull dog clips are ideal to secure in place during install
  • Align everything before you start gluing anything
  • Keep the old headliner for reference
  • Don't cut any holes for interior lights etc. until the end and do this very carefully
  • Remove all old glue before you do anything

P1040915.thumb.JPG.431f863f3d165d1f5ffd2f2ad4c4f1bd.JPG

P1040916.thumb.JPG.a93277cdf634e57900aeb450e733bb76.JPG

P1040917.thumb.JPG.bb0feaeb45de4baa603b7b6769ee8774.JPG

WP_20150414_009.thumb.jpg.e7d61a811643b1cfde2d1be2bac7a484.jpg

I have recently replaced my sunroof headliner and it's the hardest job i have ever done!

For the record, i used 5 aftermarket clips at the top of the front and rear screens. Do  edges first and finish with the sunroof. I have around 60 mini bulldog clips from ebay to allow repositioning. Be patient, take your time especially at the back around the C Pillars and the top of the B Pillars.

Don't finally glue it until you are 100% happy. I managed it with several calls and lots of helpful advice from Southbound, who supplied may headliner.

Jason

27 minutes ago, spindlycat said:

thanks guys! Any recommendations on adhesive? I have used Evo-stick spray contact adhesive for the sound pad in engine bay.

I use the glue supplied by southbound trimmers.

BTW, I'm in Bedfordshire too. If you get stuck or want someone to talk you through the whole job first let me know.

Cheers

FF

4 minutes ago, fat fuchs said:

BTW, I'm in Bedfordshire too. If you get stuck or want someone to talk you through the whole job first let me know.

Cheers

FF

A masterclass post from you would be great Andrew 👍 step by step. It is a fiddly job right 

1 hour ago, Lund said:

I'm about to take on installing a new headliner, a writeup would be most helpful!

Anyone have the bulldog clamps needed for sale?

i have just ordered some off ebay - only just over a fiver for x 100 :)

2 hours ago, fat fuchs said:

Cheers

FF

Cheers I'm based near Potton, Beds! will check out this trimmers too.