New red knobs!

12 hours ago, Lesworth said:

Ian, I am sure I brought mine back to life years ago by using a solvent of some form (may even have been some petrol on a rag) or it might even have been some t-cut, polish or similar. I don't remember exactly as it was ages ago but it may be worth a try a few things on an inconspicuous part to see?

Alternatively shouldn't be too hard to paint them and add the white detail afterwards?

Thanks Les, might try this first

Ian, I am sure I brought mine back to life years ago by using a solvent of some form (may even have been some petrol on a rag) or it might even have been some t-cut, polish or similar. I don't remember exactly as it was ages ago but it may be worth a try a few things on an inconspicuous part to see?
Alternatively shouldn't be too hard to paint them and add the white detail afterwards?

Somewhat bizarrely, brake cleaner worked well on the switches in my Lotus Elan +2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

I was going to shout up Carbone.Pl do them, but someones beat me to it. They apparently restore every switch and instrument in an IB or 964 etc to 'as-new' condition.

They seem to do an OK job but wouldn't class it as 'as-new'.

https://car-bone.pl/shop/brake-lever-restoration/

carbone_porsche_handbrake_assembly_resto

Buffing the rust (and plating) off the hardware and refitting without re-plating will probably make them last less time than if they hadn't even touched them!

Im I just getting old or is that expensive?.....................................................answers on a postcard please

Yup, 30 minutes to take apart, 60 minutes to clean up, 60 minutes to prep for paint, reassemble and stuff on a couple of knobs.  Reuse the rusty old lock nuts for patina.

Nice little project really.  I'd bang one out a day for $350

16 minutes ago, Nige said:

Yup, 30 minutes to take apart, 60 minutes to clean up, 60 minutes to prep for paint, reassemble and stuff on a couple of knobs.  Reuse the rusty old lock nuts for patina.

Nice little project really.  I'd bang one out a day for $350

Can you whittle up a couple of knobs on your lathe?