Pedal cluster-identification

Phill

I am having accelerator return issues so I inspected my cluster. Now, clearly it needs a good refurb but I seems to be a bit of a bites. My car was originally a Sportomatic and it seems the original cluster was kept and a clutch pedal added. It's not really clear how though.

My question is, are there supposed to be any return springs the pedal shaft? I can't see any on any diagrams.

Hey Phil.

No return springs on the throttle cable at peddle cluster, the returns are at the engine end; one on the butterfly end and one on top of the crankcase. 

Check your throttle cable isn’t fouling the clutch cable pivot. I had this and it makes the throttle stay open. 

Edited by Northy

Well who'd have thought. In tried to get the gearbox throttle pivot off to clean it up. Oh no, of course not. Try as I might it would not clear the banana arm. Even with the arm jacked up as high as it would go :angry:  So I had to clean and grease it as best I could in situ. Clutch cable tied up as far as it will go as it appeared to be rubbing a little on the linkage. Rod from tunnel bent slightly as it was rubbing on the edge of the floor pan. And finally, rod to engine throttle plate bent slightly to clear the hole in the tinware safely.

All now seems to have much better movement and the pedal seems to be much easier to press. Return seems to be OK but I need a cockpit helper to be sure. I think I will put a stronger spring on the throttle plate just to be sure.