Impact Bumpers
Sign in to follow this  
Vassilis911

Rag tangled on fan belt!

Hello, I'm quite new to 911 ownership and made a stupid mistake while checking my cars' oil.  The engine was running and the fan belt managed to catch the rag I was using to clean the oil level meter.  The result is that the rag is tightly wrapped around the fan pulley under the belt (please see pics).

Obviously dangerous and I didn't even think about it!! I guess it's a newbie mistake (I hope so).

I have tried cutting parts of the rag from the lower part of the pulley (without the belt) but there is a loooong way to go yet.  

Any other suggestions on how to remove it? Should I loosen the belt? Can I drive to the mechanic like this?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you,

Vassilis

IMG_9143.thumb.jpeg.939af509d2e3591c1ecae47a5df7b22d.jpeg

IMG_9142.thumb.jpeg.f35fede27338c78ffe7110abc6b9f055.jpegIMG_9141.thumb.jpeg.b1fa0496f12e7c7bf1b4aed67590b5f5.jpeg

You need the pulley spanner to hold it fixed and then undo the pulley nut.  Make sure you replace the spacers/large thin washers as per removal.

It's easy enough but might be worth watching a YouTube how to video if you've never done it before.

Nice one! Happens to the best of us! 😋

just take the nut nut off the pully. And it come apart in two pieces. 

Edited by Wingnonut

As above, but tempted to suggest you fit a new belt while your at it - nice first DIY job for you ;) 

Looks like a marine blue metallic car - nice colour!

Edited by jevvy

Or just put a spanner on the crank pulley rotate clockwise and peel the rag out.

Just be grateful it isn't your fingers wrapped around the pulley..... 

2 hours ago, Nige said:

Or just put a spanner on the crank pulley rotate clockwise and peel the rag out.

As Nige says you may just be able to turn it over by hand and the rag will roll out.

I saw a similar thing happen to a friends 911. He used a razor blade to cut through the fan under the pulley, once through, he momentarily turned the key while i pulled it out, being very careful not to get my fingers caught.

Thank you for all the replies guys!!

On 2/4/2019 at 4:24 PM, jevvy said:

As above, but tempted to suggest you fit a new belt while your at it - nice first DIY job for you ;) 

Looks like a marine blue metallic car - nice colour!

Yes I think this is what i will do!

It is Slate Blue Metallic 661 code, thanks though!

On 2/4/2019 at 5:25 PM, Chris T said:

Just be grateful it isn't your fingers wrapped around the pulley..... 

Indeed !!!

23 hours ago, Phill said:

As Nige says you may just be able to turn it over by hand and the rag will roll out.

My mechanic suggested this over the phone...

21 hours ago, swift911 said:

I saw a similar thing happen to a friends 911. He used a razor blade to cut through the fan under the pulley, once through, he momentarily turned the key while i pulled it out, being very careful not to get my fingers caught.

That was m first thought...

I'll update you as to how it goes