Impact Bumpers
Sign in to follow this  
Nige

Rear ARB Mount Options

So one side has pulled itself apart, I think it got clobbered when I had a minor off the other month.  Might has well replace both mounting points whilst I'm at it.  

Like most things at the moment they appear to be a silly price for what they are.  Best being about £65 each for a piece of pressed metal.  

Oddly (well not really) but just goes to show the ECP weekly discounts are based on an initial overpriced RRP.  Their online price is £96 each, but with this weeks discount brings it down to £62, which happens to match pretty much everywhere else including their Ebay store.

Any other options out there, heavy duty cheaper? DIY?

Edited by Nige

I thought that, but the originals have only just failed so I'm not sure about the double cost versus benefits.

I've just found them from carparts4less for £100 for a pair.  Wevo are about £200

Given yours are probably the later, updated 3.2 ones you might be better going for something stiffer.  Wevo, Elephant Racing and Jerry Woods are options but I believe Jase may be along with another one.  I need to do mine too

Was thinking of buying standard and maybe DIY reinforcing them in some way.

19 minutes ago, Nige said:

Was thinking of buying standard and maybe DIY reinforcing them in some way.

Might as well just buy ones already done then :rolleyes:

48 minutes ago, Dr Rock said:

Might as well just buy ones already done then :rolleyes:

At about 3 times the price!

I've just order a pair from carparts4less at £95 for the pair.  I'll beef them up with some extra plate before fitting.

Might need to have a garage fit them as removing the old ones means laying under the car on axle stands with the angle grinder an inch or so from my pretty face.  I'll see if I can get it higher.

Also need to repair the chassis a little on one side, already cut and prep'd new metal to weld in.

Yes, parts arrived Monday.  They're appear to have more structure about them that the ones on the car, of which corrosion was the main cause of their failure.  So I got the grinder out and cut the old ones off.  Access was a bit awkward underneath with the car on axle stands but I managed, cleaned up all the surfaces and took the car to www.tkclassics.co.uk who for £30 welded on the new mounts.  I didn't fancy trying to get a good weld with the limited space I had, I thought £30 was billy bargain.  

I thought the old ones had managed 30 years with corrosion being their downfall rather than an inherent weakness so I didn't bother with Wevo, etc for x3 the price.

So £100 for the parts (still spendy for what they are) and £30 welding the job is complete.

Although they look to be the same pressing as the existing ones they had an additional X plate over the front face of them.  My old didn't have that.  I had planned to weld on some thick 5mm repair washers to add strength to the mounting points, but that would have required some hacking about.  I figured the old ones had managed ok so these should be fine.  I'm running standard 3.2 ARBs.

My current favourite chassis paint is Jotun Epoxy.  You can get it in RAL colours so have a dark blue for all the underneath stuff.  I zinc rich primer first.  The Jotun stuff builds up nice and thick and is marine grade stuff.