Seized Parking Brake

Beaky

Hi Folks,

When to take the  car for a spin and found the car won't move even with lots of rev's she wouldn't budge!

Probably my fault for parking her with the hand brake on after all the snow etc driving back from Waynes.

So what is the quickest and easiest way to unseize the buggers!

6 minutes ago, Type911 said:

Drop the clutch at 5K

It's in the garage would shoot off across the road in reverse!

I assume one can get to the cable and lubricate pull it free?

If it rocks a bit backwards and forwards then its the hand brake, if its solid with no movement then its the main pads that have stuck to the disk.

I'd jack one wheel up at a time and free it off if you have the space and access to a jack. If its the main caliper pads then sometimes a good hard press on the breaks can crack the seal, if not give them a bit of a lever in the caliper. If its the handbrake shoes then sometimes a tap of the brake disc can crack them free, if that fails then its Matts 5k option or caliper / disc off to sort.

Sometimes just dealing with one wheel at a time and a breaker bar through the wheel studs will get things sorted.

Finally - what the hell are you doing putting the handbrake on?

1 hour ago, jevvy said:

If it rocks a bit backwards and forwards then its the hand brake, if its solid with no movement then its the main pads that have stuck to the disk.

1 hour ago, jevvy said:

Finally - what the hell are you doing putting the handbrake on?

Doesn't rock so assume Pads

Sorry Boss! :unsure:

I've had the same a while ago although not on the 911. Brake discs have a little rusty 'scar' which makes the brakes have a little 'lump' on every wheel rotation, but it does go away as it wears in. Glad it's sorted. 

Chris.

1 hour ago, Chris T said:

I've had the same a while ago although not on the 911. Brake discs have a little rusty 'scar' which makes the brakes have a little 'lump' on every wheel rotation, but it does go away as it wears in. Glad it's sorted. 

Chris.

Cheers Chris, Hows your mean machine, when do we get to hear/see it? 

11 hours ago, Beaky said:

Cheers Chris, Hows your mean machine, when do we get to hear/see it? 

Be patient my friends, it will be on the road soon! I absolutely CANNOT get the piston chunk out of the bottom end, so while I'm away next week I'm having my local indie split the crank case halves, get the chunk out, change the main bearings while he's in there, give everything a good clean and reassemble. I'm hoping it will be together by the end of Feb, but I'm away nearly all of March, so target date for being back on the road is April 1st. Am I being a fool??

Chris.