Best rust treatment for surface rust inside sills?

MaxDiesel

I've been attacking the 'hell hole' under the battery tray on my 914. In the process of cutting back to solid metal I've created an opening in the top of the main longitudinal where I can look up and down the sill. The good news its its solid - but there is surface rust on the inner surfaces. Before I weld up the longitudinal I'd like to treat the rust while I have access (Once all the welding's done I'll also be using Wurth cavity wax).

What products have people used ? I'm ideally looking for something I can spray down inside the sill.

IMG_4375.thumb.JPG.fb2a6fe4f036794fff855fb08915cfbc.JPG

I found this product on eBay that seems to fit the bill:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-CARLOFON-Pro-Rust-Converter-Rust-Protector-and-Primer-Spray-400-ml-111/263560570981?epid=9016844312&hash=item3d5d6f2865:g:DYIAAOSw~T9aVeA6

Anyone used this ?

Thanks

Matt

Rust.co.uk have a cavity wax with rust inhibitors which is pretty good (will post link when on computer).

For your application, would you not sandblast first to get rid of the surface rust blotches? Problem is that it normally starts from the inside and works out, but you may get lucky since you've caught it early.

Maybe sandblast, then use epoxy primer or just go straight to POR15.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the recommendations.

In the end I've ordered two cans of Dintrol RC900 Rust Converter with an extension hose to get along the sill.

All the reviews of the Dinitrol stuff seem to be very positive - I'm still struggling with the idea of paying ~£60 for 2x 400ml spray cans though!!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Wow, is that how much it is now? Sure I paid £120 for a box of a dozen mixed aerosols from them - albeit some time ago!

It’s good stuff. Out of curiosity I put the chassis wax in the wheelarches of a work van in 2009. Most of it was still there last year. Waxoyl would’ve been long gone.

I've fill all my cracks, crevices and holes with Dinitrol ML.  Still not cheap but a couple of cans do go a long way.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dinitrol-ML-Penetrator-Rust-Proofing-Cavity-Wax-500ml-Aerosol/382170614990?hash=item58fb24ccce:g:FMUAAMXQwKdRfKo5:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Don't know that the difference is (thicker I think) but this version looks better value:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-DINITROL-3125HS-RUST-PROOFING-CAVITY-WAX-500ml-AEROSOL-Extension-nozzle/223226232284?hash=item33f951fddc:g:U2cAAOSwbjNcRaqB:rk:14:pf:0

Edited by Nige