Cleaning Fuchs

craigt

I'd like to tidy up my Fuchs. Will be repainting the centres satin black but need to tidy the anodised part.

The surface has a slightly rough feel to it and i've no reason to think they've been laquered. 

What can I use to clean the rim? Will Farecla or metal polish destroy the anodising or is it real tough?

IMG_20190214_090403.jpg

Anodising is both tough and easily damaged (?!)

Any corrosive based cleaner will etch into it in seconds. Products like WonderWheels or the sodium hydroxide based wheel cleaners used by your local hand car wash.

Non corrosive polish type cleaning products won't harm it at all.

10 hours ago, Wingnonut said:

People have suggested previously and I have tried a smear of vasoline left on over night to draw out the grime before wiping off and using the autosol polish. It seemed to work on mine. 

I think the wisdom with the Vaseline is that the longer you leave it on the better.  I usually do mine in winter when I’m not expecting to use it for a few days/weeks.

Ian

Here is the wheel cleaning section from the Drivers Manual...

IMG_20190215_165917.thumb.jpg.729a7674918d4de01e01ddda8f80fba2.jpg

So vaseline was the factory preservative recommendation after cleaning. No idea if modern wheel wax is as good/better, but there is some underlying science in using vasaline. Vaseline is a colloidal dispersion of microcrystalline wax in liquid paraffins, rubbing on an anodised surface would push the wax micro crystals into the pores of the anodising and the higher viscosity paraffins would coat over the top of everything when the lower viscosity paraffins were buffed off.

:twocents:

Mark

dispersion of microcrystalline wax in liquid paraffin's

• 2 weeks later...