Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I find the biggest challenge in garage DIY is getting the car up in the air to work on it. Simple jobs become too much of a struggle otherwise.

On and off I have been contemplating a vehicle lift, something like this:

http://www.vehiclelifts4home.co.uk/product/quickjack/

I'm revisiting the search. Has anyone been down this road and have any experience or recommendations to share?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have lift off ūüöÄ It lifted, it stayed up there.¬†I can get it fully up to max lift inside without hitting the roof. Fab.¬† I‚Äôve dropped it down to a few inches off the floor overnight just to check

Project "Get High" has started on the weekend. Need a C type circuit breaker as it trips on fire up (B type won't take the start up amperage apparently), torquing down and I'm ready to lift! 

Been procrastinating over it for a good couple of years. I'm enjoying swinging the tools. Saved a few quid servicing (we'll forget about the few quid spent on calliper messing) lol. I'm old. Bit fat.

Posted Images

There has been lots of discussion about lifts with varying recommendations. Search is your friend but it boils down to what you have a budget and space for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend just installed a 4 ton 2 post lift. I must admit, it looks a great bit of kit for £1600 but it is tall and wide. I’m a bit jealous. Would make so many jobs so much easier 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m looking at these at the moment.  I am favouring this type. I like the way that it has clear access down the centre.   It is low profile too at 110mm.   I’m considering setting it into the floor. 

https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-7532b-3-2t-mid-rise-scissor-lift/

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jonny Hart said:

I’m looking at these at the moment.  I am favouring this type. I like the way that it has clear access down the centre.   It is low profile too at 110mm.   I’m considering setting it into the floor. 

https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-7532b-3-2t-mid-rise-scissor-lift/

I think these are a really good particularly with limited head height but I struggle to see how you'd save working off your back on the floor? Its a 1m max lift. Unless you is tiny that is. Is a 4 poster a better option so at least you can get the full lift? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jonny Hart said:

I’m looking at these at the moment.  I am favouring this type. I like the way that it has clear access down the centre.   It is low profile too at 110mm.   I’m considering setting it into the floor. 

https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-7532b-3-2t-mid-rise-scissor-lift/

Yes, have been looking closely at that one too.

Just now, Busybee said:

I think these are a really good particularly with limited head height but I struggle to see how you'd save working off your back on the floor? Its a 1m max lift. Unless you is tiny that is. Is a 4 poster a better option so at least you can get the full lift? 

Headroom is the problem for me in a normal garage.

One of the reasons why I've been looking at the smaller versions is portability - I could use it on my drive (perhaps!).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Strongman do a similar one to that where the cross beam can be removed so you can wheel a trolly in and out up the middle which makes it good for getting engines out. 

7 minutes ago, Chris_911 said:

In fact - this one:

https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-7530d-garage-scissor-lift/

The downside is the structure between the lifts but being able to use it outside is a definite plus.

https://sm-t.co.uk/product/clifton-3-ton-lift/

 

i have this one one but other than testing it once I have never used it. It seems to work well (especially the tilt bit) but does seem awefully precarious! 

 

DCA18523-7D2D-49C1-B48F-5DBE7A5125B7.jpeg

C0C46661-AC37-4255-8388-E2A7DD3ED372.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Jonny Hart said:

  I’m considering setting it into the floor

You will lose even more working height .

I don't get it, none of these examples offer any advantage over a decent jack and axle stands. Then you have to store it. Even if you have a double garage it's bit intrusive. Mind you, if I had a double garage I know what I would be putting in it and it wouldn't be a car lift :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Phill said:

You will lose even more working height .

I don't get it, none of these examples offer any advantage over a decent jack and axle stands. Then you have to store it. Even if you have a double garage it's bit intrusive. Mind you, if I had a double garage I know what I would be putting in it and it wouldn't be a car lift :lol:

I agree Phil. Only worth it if it takes the backache out. 

6 minutes ago, mean in green said:

Could this thread be of interest?

c073298cdd75.jpg

a9f5e1e1a1fa.jpg

Looks great but where are you gonna store that flipping thing

Two poster for me all day long

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

I’m looking at these at the moment.  I am favouring this type. I like the way that it has clear access down the centre.   It is low profile too at 110mm.   I’m considering setting it into the floor. 

https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-7532b-3-2t-mid-rise-scissor-lift/

After waaay too much research and dithering thats the one I bought - seemed to work best for what I needed it for.

29135730587_4bddbdbcc3_h.jpg

2 hours ago, Busybee said:

I think these are a really good particularly with limited head height but I struggle to see how you'd save working off your back on the floor? Its a 1m max lift. Unless you is tiny that is. Is a 4 poster a better option so at least you can get the full lift? 

if you are height restricted a 1m lift works ok, wheels come up to standing mid body height, a low st00l puts them at head height and you can work underneath it ok, certainly better than jackstands. 4 posters are friggin hopeless for anything other than alignment - whats the point in lifting the car up in the air but it still being on its wheels with 2 long platforms in the way.

2 posters are also a pain as the 2 posts get in the way so you can never open the doors fully or use it when you want to lean into the car to do work. They often also have a raise before you lower feature to lift off the locks - this means when fitting an engine you cant do micro adjustments as you lift or drop the chassis onto the engine - total PITA!

 

2 hours ago, Chris_911 said:

In fact - this one:

https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-7530d-garage-scissor-lift/

The downside is the structure between the lifts but being able to use it outside is a definite plus.

I considered that one too but the crossover bar would get in the way especially when dropping the engine and you want to use an engine trolley. I did think about flipping it round and putting the engine at the other end but the crossover end is the beefy end of the lift so should ideally be under the heavy end of the car.

1 hour ago, Phill said:

You will lose even more working height .

No you wont - you simply place the car where you want it them put rubber / wood blocks between the lift and the lifting points on the car - no lost lift height.

The Carter lift looks quite nice but you lose any access to the centre of the car which is my book makes it a non starter. Also the extendable platforms the car actually sit on make me feel uneasy - if you want to any heavy spanner work the last thing you want to be doing is having the car wobble about while you gorilla a breaker bar.

The The AS-7532B Mid rise scissor lift really is the best option if you are height limited and want most flexibility over how you will use the lift - sinking it into the floor makes it even better! When I move I will be sinking it into the floor and also extending the hoses so I can put the control plinth a bit further away from the lift.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phill said:

You will lose even more working height .

1

As Jevvy said, just use blocks for a little more height.  More importantly, when the lift is down, you'll have a level and clear floor space.  No need to find a corner to hide the lift when not needed.

Peter

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jevvy said:

No you wont - you simply place the car where you want it them put rubber / wood blocks between the lift and the lifting points on the car - no lost lift height.

 

1 hour ago, PeterK said:

As Jevvy said, just use blocks for a little more height.  More importantly, when the lift is down, you'll have a level and clear floor space.  No need to find a corner to hide the lift when not needed.

Yes, yes, I didn't think of that.......I'll get me coat

¬†ūüė™

Edited by Phill
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just picked up one of the BH Repairs scissor lifts (http://bhrepairs.co.uk/) secondhand this week. I'd had an eBay search for a year for one within 15miles and it finally came good. Its a much bigger, heavier bit of kit (450kg!) than the pictures would lead you to think. Getting it out the work's van and down my garden took six of us and methods similar to those they used to build the pyramids!

I've got under my 914 and given it a go - it's got plenty of lift height - I'm not planning on going under it when its this high - but glad I built the shed with a high ceiling!

Photos below from late Wednesday night after hauling it down the garden:

Lift1.thumb.jpg.5c794848088e50d758e72afb0d450814.jpg

Lift2.thumb.jpg.572a8b493f7ff6ac753e4fec9b45d026.jpg

I think it'll be more this height whilst I'm working on it - its rock solid on the lift alone, but the axles stand give some extra reassurance!

Lift3.thumb.jpg.23415ae6ad396ff749a56f0ed1ad92b0.jpg

I'm going to have a better look at it this weekend - but initial impressions are it's a great bit of kit and will make engine drops, suspension work etc. a hell of a lot easier.

Edited by MaxDiesel
typo
Link to post
Share on other sites

Like MaxDiesel I kept searching on Ebay and bought something slightly different,

Went for a more general use full table scissor lift for a fraction of the price of a new one

This is the one, 

https://www.llmhandling.co.uk/product/static-scissor-lift-table-1500kg-tm1500/

Edited by World Citizen
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jonny Hart said:

I have limited ceiling height so 1m is my lift limit.  

@jevvy  What’s the size of the control unit?  It looks fairly big in the photos but no dimensions are given. 

I'll put a tape measure on it next time I'm in the garage, pics on the site make it look larger than it is but the plan view in the PDF gives a fairly realistic representation of its size I would say.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 11:41 AM, jevvy said:

After waaay too much research and dithering thats the one I bought - seemed to work best for what I needed it for.

29135730587_4bddbdbcc3_h.jpg

if you are height restricted a 1m lift works ok, wheels come up to standing mid body height, a low st00l puts them at head height and you can work underneath it ok, certainly better than jackstands. 4 posters are friggin hopeless for anything other than alignment - whats the point in lifting the car up in the air but it still being on its wheels with 2 long platforms in the way.

2 posters are also a pain as the 2 posts get in the way so you can never open the doors fully or use it when you want to lean into the car to do work. They often also have a raise before you lower feature to lift off the locks - this means when fitting an engine you cant do micro adjustments as you lift or drop the chassis onto the engine - total PITA!

 

I considered that one too but the crossover bar would get in the way especially when dropping the engine and you want to use an engine trolley. I did think about flipping it round and putting the engine at the other end but the crossover end is the beefy end of the lift so should ideally be under the heavy end of the car.

No you wont - you simply place the car where you want it them put rubber / wood blocks between the lift and the lifting points on the car - no lost lift height.

The Carter lift looks quite nice but you lose any access to the centre of the car which is my book makes it a non starter. Also the extendable platforms the car actually sit on make me feel uneasy - if you want to any heavy spanner work the last thing you want to be doing is having the car wobble about while you gorilla a breaker bar.

The The AS-7532B Mid rise scissor lift really is the best option if you are height limited and want most flexibility over how you will use the lift - sinking it into the floor makes it even better! When I move I will be sinking it into the floor and also extending the hoses so I can put the control plinth a bit further away from the lift.

Thanks Jevvy - that's really useful.

Still liking the mobile AS-7530D but as you say it would be a potential challenge for an engine drop. Do you think the cross bars would prevent an engine drop?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 10:25 AM, Busybee said:

I agree Phil. Only worth it if it takes the backache out. 

Looks great but where are you gonna store that flipping thing

Two poster for me all day long

Interesting but £3k+ !!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Busybee said:

The Cartar product that was linked appears to be £3+

Two poster no good for me.

I do think I am being incredibly naive thinking the Automech AS-7530D could be moved around though - the sheer weight of the thing means it's never going to be mobile.

So the preference swings back to the one that Jevvy has, the AS-7532B.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris_911 said:

Thanks Jevvy - that's really useful.

Still liking the mobile AS-7530D but as you say it would be a potential challenge for an engine drop. Do you think the cross bars would prevent an engine drop?

I wouldnt say it would prevent an engine drop but perhaps make it a little more awkward as the floor space between the platforms is narrower and you have that linking bar in the way. I actually fitted the platforms of mine slightly wider than the drawings which gives more room down the middle without really causing any issues on the outsides.

I also wouldnt class either options as portable - its a bit like building stone henge moving the platforms around as they are firkin heavy but at least with my lift they are independent so you can move one at a time more easily if needed. I havent had to yet but I also thought having the separate platforms would mean I could push them together if a particular job needed less room down the middle and more access round the sides, you could probably lift the car with 1 platform if needed :) I actually dont use the fold down ends as they are kinda badly placed for the short 911 body and can get in the way - easily removed and I have just build a couple of small ramp / platforms instead which I put to one side when the car is up onto the lift.

Also worth noting the 7532B has dual hydraulic rams on each platform and Hydraulic failure safety devices whereas the 7530D has single rams and Pneumatic safety locks which IIRC requires a compressor hookup. The height on mine can be adjusted by the millimetre pretty much.

Like many things like this once you buy one you wonder why you hadnt bought one 10 years ago and kick yourself for not doing so. Zero stress and hassle free car lifting really does streamline any garage grafting.

Finally when I bought mine I called them about discounts and although they couldn't offer any they did just have a leased reclaim unit that was as-new, had been used a few times and came with full warranty but was a bit cheaper than the full price unit so it might be worth giving them a call

HTH

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jevvy said:

I wouldnt say it would prevent an engine drop but perhaps make it a little more awkward as the floor space between the platforms is narrower and you have that linking bar in the way. I actually fitted the platforms of mine slightly wider than the drawings which gives more room down the middle without really causing any issues on the outsides.

I also wouldnt class either options as portable - its a bit like building stone henge moving the platforms around as they are firkin heavy but at least with my lift they are independent so you can move one at a time more easily if needed. I havent had to yet but I also thought having the separate platforms would mean I could push them together if a particular job needed less room down the middle and more access round the sides, you could probably lift the car with 1 platform if needed :) I actually dont use the fold down ends as they are kinda badly placed for the short 911 body and can get in the way - easily removed and I have just build a couple of small ramp / platforms instead which I put to one side when the car is up onto the lift.

Also worth noting the 7532B has dual hydraulic rams on each platform and Hydraulic failure safety devices whereas the 7530D has single rams and Pneumatic safety locks which IIRC requires a compressor hookup. The height on mine can be adjusted by the millimetre pretty much.

Like many things like this once you buy one you wonder why you hadnt bought one 10 years ago and kick yourself for not doing so. Zero stress and hassle free car lifting really does streamline any garage grafting.

Finally when I bought mine I called them about discounts and although they couldn't offer any they did just have a leased reclaim unit that was as-new, had been used a few times and came with full warranty but was a bit cheaper than the full price unit so it might be worth giving them a call

HTH

 

Thanks Jevvy. Yep, I am being very naive thinking that the mobile unit is going to be in any way mobile.

Have also just discovered the need for an air supply with the 7530 - as you point out.

When you bought it was it a reasonably easy two-man job to move the platforms into position?

Edited by Chris_911
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
√ó
√ó
  • Create New...