Impact Bumpers

14 hours ago, Busybee said:

Is it the getting in and out David? Mate just bought a two post lift. Raves about it. 

Any lift is better than no lift but you have to think about what jobs you want it to help you with in order to pick what suits your needs best.

Indeed a 2 poster gives better access to the underside of your car, you can park a car under a lifted car etc etc but I find the posts just seem to get it the way a lot and they absolutely stop you from doing any interior work through the door opening. I have also found the 2 poster lifts I have used a bit less steady than a the lift I have at home, In an ideal world you would probably have one of each (scissor & 2 post) but for me the scissor is the more universal tool if you have to pick one.

I had a 2 post for about 10 years at home ,great for brakes ,suspension ,exhaust work ,general service stuff.was electric motor linked by chain on the floor in a box cover ,very stable but you try pushing a disabled car over that bump,right pain.cant steer with door open as post in way,really only suitable for driving onto.

new ones are better I think but you get a problem with short cars and getting arms in the right place to lift,a Porsche will need a trolley jack to lift high enough to get arms under,awkward if you have body kit or Cill covers .

i have just got a scissor lift and for what I need I think it's great,when not in use the garage seems empty ,doors can open to full width.

my other half now won't have to get stuck in the car,up in the air while I bleed brakes 😄

Mark your are welcome to pop over and see mine in use ,only at Gillingham.

pete

Pete, not quite true. I have a 2 post lift and the arms go under my lowered 911 easily. You just have to buy right and look for a lift with a low minimum pad height, the cheapo Chinese ones do not.

Chris.

1 hour ago, Chris T said:

Pete, not quite true. I have a 2 post lift and the arms go under my lowered 911 easily. You just have to buy right and look for a lift with a low minimum pad height, the cheapo Chinese ones do not.

Chris.

What lift do you have Chris? Think the advantages of a two post would suit me as I can park a car under etc. 

It's made by Ravaglioli, forget the model number. It took me a LONG time to find a lift that wasn't too high for the garage, too wide for the space I had, had low pad heights and ran from single phase supply...... As a bonus, this one has 2 long threaded rods which rotate in the towers to raise and lower the arms, meaning no safety brake/lock is required and the driveshaft joining L-R is quite low profile.

I got it from a garage supply place up north somewhere, guy gave me such a good deal on it that a month later he no longer worked there.....

Chris.