Vehicle Lift?

Chris_911

1 hour ago, Chris_911 said:

So I'm starting to carry out my fuel line refresh and re-discovering that ball ache of getting the car up in the air and supporting it safely.

I simply can't stretch to the scissor lift I really want.

BUT have been thinking about a pair of hydraulic ramps, these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/900kg-Hydraulic-Car-Ramps-Hydraulic-Car-Lifts-Adjustable-Low-Car-Ramps-DDD/303516375814?hash=item46aafc5b06:g:RioAAOSwu1FdqK8p

Much easier and quicker to get the front or back of the car up in the air and onto axle stands if needed. And I could stretch to a pair cost-wise.

Anybody have any thoughts or experience of these, good or bad?

I also had a think about a tilting lift (roughly the same price as the hydraulic ramps), like this: https://www.cjautos.eu/NEW_3_IN_1_TILTING_CAR_LIFT_p/cl01.htm

BUT the lifting platforms aren't long enough to reach the lifting pads on the chassis, so it looks as though the vehicle weight is reacted where it shouldn't be.

Am I missing something?

Rich aka @wingnonut has the tilter and I thought maybe @Phill has some of the adjustable ramps...? 

14 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Interesting.

Much much cheaper and only an inch lower on lift height, but they are pretty large beasts to store - really don't think I have the room for those :(

3 hours ago, Chris_911 said:

So I'm starting to carry out my fuel line refresh and re-discovering that ball ache of getting the car up in the air and supporting it safely.

I simply can't stretch to the scissor lift I really want.

BUT have been thinking about a pair of hydraulic ramps, these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/900kg-Hydraulic-Car-Ramps-Hydraulic-Car-Lifts-Adjustable-Low-Car-Ramps-DDD/303516375814?hash=item46aafc5b06:g:RioAAOSwu1FdqK8p

Much easier and quicker to get the front or back of the car up in the air and onto axle stands if needed. And I could stretch to a pair cost-wise.

Anybody have any thoughts or experience of these, good or bad?

I also had a think about a tilting lift (roughly the same price as the hydraulic ramps), like this: https://www.cjautos.eu/NEW_3_IN_1_TILTING_CAR_LIFT_p/cl01.htm

BUT the lifting platforms aren't long enough to reach the lifting pads on the chassis, so it looks as though the vehicle weight is reacted where it shouldn't be.

Am I missing something?

I went for the big trolley jack, lifting about 800mm, and a pair of taller axle stands.  Have thought about the loading beam to fit the top of the trolley jack.

Still lusting over a scissor lift though

Edited by PeterK

Chris,  I have the CJ Auto tilting lift.  Got the car up on it once and never used it again.  You are correct that it does reach tot he jack pads so it rests of the underbody which doesn't seem sensible.  Also with my a/c lines I have to use blocks to avoid squashing them so can't even spread the load.  It would do great for a smaller lighter car like a Caterham but don't think it is a worthwhile buy for an IB.

B6E7CAE2-49DB-46A5-9975-AA5976E7A81D.jpeg

DBE46C6D-E8B4-4857-B611-2D3D198E54EF.jpeg

9C88FC11-187A-4C64-BB1D-B4E88039FC87.jpeg

99DA97DA-55C3-4A68-8157-3017AB954B0F.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Wingnonut said:

Chris,  I have the CJ Auto tilting lift.  Got the car up on it once and never used it again.  You are correct that it does reach tot he jack pads so it rests of the underbody which doesn't seem sensible.  Also with my a/c lines I have to use blocks to avoid squashing them so can't even spread the load.  It would do great for a smaller lighter car like a Caterham but don't think it is a worthwhile buy for an IB.

B6E7CAE2-49DB-46A5-9975-AA5976E7A81D.jpeg

DBE46C6D-E8B4-4857-B611-2D3D198E54EF.jpeg

9C88FC11-187A-4C64-BB1D-B4E88039FC87.jpeg

99DA97DA-55C3-4A68-8157-3017AB954B0F.jpeg

Thanks. Unfortunately as I thought :( 

40 minutes ago, Chris T said:

Right now Haith, you can..... Driving me nuts! Even with Jevvy's help we have failed to get it running right. 

Don't say that! Jevvy helping me with the 3.8 lump. Sort it out Jev ;) 

10 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

I was just about to recommend the cheapest option for this kind of thing, big axle stands of the kind I used when we dropped a neighbour’s 930 engine and gearbox out.  I think I showed a couple of pictures.

2F32FC3D-B3DD-4ACB-B5F5-C2163BE216D9.jpeg

I remembered our discussion of these.

Will let you know how I get on with the ramps - I was looking for convenience and I think these ramps will give me that.

38 minutes ago, Lesworth said:

They look great Chris. Lift much higher than I thought.

Yes, me too.

They aren’t fully up in this pic - any further and my exhaust tip would be on the ground.

13 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

They look ok, is there a positive lockout to hold at a certain level or is it all resting on the hydraulic cylinder?

They have a mechanical stay at max height - wouldn't have bought if they were hydraulic only.

4 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Are those the £400 jobbies chris?

Yes.

2 hours ago, Chris_911 said:

They aren’t fully up in this pic - any further and my exhaust tip would be on the ground.

Looks like you need two pairs! That would be 800squids though 🥴

Set out to start replacing my tunnel lines today but have called a halt as one of my new ramps is leaking badly and not lifting as it should.

Back to the seller methinks......🙄

1 hour ago, Chris_911 said:

Set out to start replacing my tunnel lines today but have called a halt as one of my new ramps is leaking badly and not lifting as it should.

Back to the seller methinks......🙄

That doesn't sound to safe, hope you always have a "secondary" block under the car somewhere!

1 minute ago, Beaky said:

That doesn't sound to safe, hope you always have a "secondary" block under the car somewhere!

Actually it's worse than that as the leaking ramp won't lift properly - so needs sorting by the seller before I can use them (and replace my tunnel fuel lines :( ).

5 minutes ago, Chris_911 said:

Actually it's worse than that as the leaking ramp won't lift properly - so needs sorting by the seller before I can use them (and replace my tunnel fuel lines :( ).

Plan B, trolley jack and tree stump!