Exhaust for Varioram in an IB

With the car being backdated I've hit a bit of a snag. My butchered Eisenmann won't clear the rear valance on the backdated rear end. I thought I had a solution coming from M&K in the States, but having sat on a sizeable chunk of my money for 7 weeks and a catalogue of broken promises they've decided not to supply, leaving me in the lurch and awaiting a refund.

I've spoken to Turbo Thomas and he's happy to fab something up on the car, but thinks it'll need bespoke headers too. I was rather keen on keeping the 993 heat exchangers. Has anyone found a solution for this?

Yes, the happy crab although it actually looks pretty spendy for what it is these days.

http://www.instant-g.com/products/exhaust-systems/993-exhaust-964

Alternatively you could quite easily get something custom made over here. A few of us made up systems just buying Magnaflow silencers and some pipes then getting it welded (which is basically what the happy crab is anyway). This is probably your lowest cost option. 

Thinking outside the box a bit - I wonder if you could get a catalytic converter like the one below and just convert it into a silencer:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BM-Exhaust-Catalytic-Converter-Cat-BM91346-BRAND-NEW-3-YEAR-WARRANTY/163065851983?epid=249654249&hash=item25f77b704f:rk:16:pf:0&checksum=1630658519831d3c8502424442b4beb46106cbcd6761&enc=AQADAAAC8FjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduV%2BRaMaQ1zW9oGZczOeRMmQUZOT3kaZgYvh1JLFNyG5TZaUhWLDIpe0pgyc60gvIFCKwqrKvfxXWSW4dm3gW6ShBQLzCJv%2BBlMuO9In60SbKyKJKSjaLD6zmzXZqiljPKlKXyTcxVkX1av3CtvrxAhvnqIi1Z74u%2BHRx%2BpOPzPDprXBnOBbaaJ8GSchCyAgcGBuWdgbXyNVkSc8EXKkEfivPyzzQYJyjXnuPUYuNDwro%2BgHK40f6tbRDaC%2BmrpQ7JQhcRezy%2BQEQS5fq3e7FBFgU1oWaKmrezmVivBTBbPtxUXy2ENRBsPrlZ1jTXbaozC%2FyZGdPDgOJO9IvSTSBlkkob1s6dpt4Aujofmo6gi7NssZ3ukegnt7%2B1fXBG5bjrXs9WKBkYp%2BW4IJ7%2F7X8VTUTL5Vmu9znjoiLPO3WQ8dgqJNXgHe8nrnpTRlwHiKoSbVk21kIei0q08C6o%2BIVC5Xz9rcedGy0fKNHTOb1lUjV3eGmgFHhWtno%2FoBtgakpU6oiPOEc9IXTHE%2BtmuZgi%2FQ0lREW5%2BTph3BYYGkWcY5PJ93XA1R8GE5v0WzybW4P9BApBqBxGE%2BG5Nv1a%2FNinlhjpHwtJJrsQRzUsIcnM5QWO04kTONkgrpVcSmIv1kB80S%2BRH4i0v7b583XjhuF76fPCo0RQSXiYcaGRnvS0eUeOhdayrYwAfQ4XtJl%2B2WzXsZW9YwpKmJtbu1d49isNJGLDYOK%2BFgw10WvvdCn67Z7a3NATaYI2ZOBo8mK0%2B1YXWyv0Eplp3hWKeqx6a9A2KKLhRmQtpHc1LJpfFwjiRnVF%2B5kW%2Buv544WKcqeotrDn0MY3RmLtE2Qsc%2FnRUKM8gJYTzW5lFXwzOarbTIMbXia2Jn8N9%2F%2FryUfY%2Fhg0y7%2FUoA5LywllcvBdlHMSxLNfvkSZjwd43g%2F3yX%2B5a5mYNWKwyl7hkVVngWLuFA14S33KC

I guess it also depends on what you are trying to achieve or what you want from your exhaust. Clearly heat is a must so stick with the 993 h/e as they work very well for this.

Edit: That is the longest Ebay link in history!!

Edited by ALEX P

Ah! I have one of those Magnaflow crossover boxes on my shelf. At least I'll be able to get the car driving if I knock up something with that. Cheers for the steer.

Ultimately I wanted a GT3 style two-out, but given the limited space with the numberplate panel being further inboard now it's tough getting something that won't be too loud and can still use the the 993 H/Es.

I don't know exactly what you had ordered from M&K, but I wouldn't bet on it fitting even if you had got it here.  I had a just such a thing back when I had 993 HEs and it was nowhere near fitting.  It became known as my gold plated muffler based on the cost of having it adapted to fit.  I drove without muffler to Parr (being closest indie) and they subbed it out to Haywood & Scott unbeknownst to me and at considerable cost.  What can you do but pay the bill.  And laugh.  Many years later.

I reckon any solution with GT3 style centre exits will be loud.  Just try visualising where the exhaust gases enter and exit and how you silence in between without having really restrictive bends. 

Cheers for the heads up Richard. I've just spoken to H&S. Ian, who does the 911 exhausts, isn't in today but I'll call him Monday. The guy I spoke to said they could definitely do it on the 993 H/Es though. It looks like I may be driving down to Essex with the car sounding like a gasser...

I've had a few rear boxes on the 993 HE's and the happy crab crossover box definitely sounded and seemed to perform the best. Anything that just dumps both outlets into the same chamber (M&K) can sound a bit strange and seems to dull the oomph a but (not dyno tested just seat of pants).

Careful doing many miles with no rear box - you will get very melty melty on anything prone to much heat (BTDT).

PayPal finally gave me a refund, despite being told some massive porkies. If anyone else wants a critique of M&K exhausts and the way they operate then send me a PM. I doubt I am allowed to post the details on the open forum.

I've decided to go for a happy crab style exhaust. I'm adding two 6" mufflers to the normal style if I can get them to squeeze in. I think a lot of the inlet/outlets will need cutting down and the whole thing will need a fair bit of fettling, but fingers crossed it does a good job. I really wanted GT3 style tips, but it's proving to be difficult to source. H&S said they might be able to do it, but would need to see the car first.

IMG_9149.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:30 PM, Kenny Senior said:

Were the headers from TT too? What was the rough cost if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry missed this and I see you have made the Happy Crab decision anyway.  Yes, he makes headers.  I don't know TT's retail prices as I always managed to do deals as he developed things, so by being the guinea pig, I paid less.  I always thought his pricing was fair, particularly if you go see him and get what is basically a bespoke fitting service.

Thats probably the sort of thing I will make for mine  eventually ,  I like my crab but at times it can be overly noisey ,depends  what  mood I am in :)

Edited by Henry