CV Joint fun & games

Ever since I had a CV joint fail at Snetterton I have made a point of checking the driveshaft bolts

For some reason the bolts on both the inner and outer joints are coming loose on the o/s driveshaft (this is the side that failed)

The nearside have not moved at all, but the o/s bolts are working loose after every race

Anybody had a similar problem?

I am going to try some new bolts first, just wondered whether there are any other cures

I heard rumour that it was possible to get CV joints with a thicker mounting flange?

Carlo -

Just replaced the n/s driveshaft on mine and replaced the bolts on the other side as well. Have you replaced the washers? I bought new bolts and "Nordlock" anti-vibration washers. Haven't driven the car much to see whether bolts remain secure.

New bolts and Schnoor washers should fix the problem.

Thanks TC & ACE, it was good to put some faces to the usernames

Where do I get these from? Please dont say Pelican cause I need to fit them next weekend

I think Porsche will charge you about £2 an item or something silly. I got mine from rs components (check web) probably not the cheapest but next day delivery. Depends on whether you are G50 or 915 which bolt size you need. As long as you get 12.9 grade strength you'll be fine. I paid about £10 for a bag of 100 M8x50mm 12.9 grade blacked cap head bolts and the same for 50 off special double locking anti vibration washers.

Edited by topcarrera

New bolts and Schnoor washers should fix the problem.

I've just had to "look up" Schnoor washer's :blink:

When my O/S CV boot was replaced last month mine were as tight as a duck's asr5e.

Errr what about Threadlock?

I've just had to "look up" Schnoor washer's :blink:

When my O/S CV boot was replaced last month mine were as tight as a duck's asr5e.

Errr what about Threadlock?

Not sure about Threadlock with all the grease in the vicinity

Now you've looked up Schnoor, can you tell me what they are

The Nordlock washers are like a double (two piece) extra security Shnoor washer - see here

I got them here, try this page

This one for cap head screws

Edited by topcarrera

I got them here

Wow, how up its own backside is the UK now on H&S and plain old red tape - there is a downloadable Statement of Conformity on the RS website for every single thing they sell! Can't imagine how much work that must be :o

(Stands back and waits for TC's bull to spot the red rag LOL)

:rlol: Sorry - more warm Jagermeister just came out my nose!

That's really, really interesting Twinny. Bet you are a wow at parties!

I can now talk at length about the advantages of schnoor over slit lock washers. Would you like to see my rivet collection? I've got some that TC would kill to get his hands on.

Twinny - Have you got silent edit capability on here? I was just about to post this pic

picture.jpg

Edited by topcarrera

I had a similar problem last year. After driving about 50 miles I was edging forward to a small roundabout in a town when I hear a thump from under the car. The car then revved up. I pulled the key from the ignition. I tried it again but the same thing happended. I pushed the car off the roundabout, and discovered a drive shaft hanging down. A friend who lives nearby brough it to his barn on a car transporter. I returned the following day. 5 of the 6 bolts on the inside driveshaft, where it connects to the diff/gbox had worked loose. The last bolt sheared off. The drive shaft had shot up and hit the accelerator linkage and bent the rod, shortening it having the same affect as having your foot on the pedal. I straightened the linkage, bolted up the 5 complete bolts (with thread lock) and drove home and subsequently replace the last one with a standard s/s bolt. No problem so far since but haven't covered that many miles. I will look into the other options since reading this thread. Thanks.

• 15 years later...