Spare Wheel Options?

Type911

So for my backdate the Fuch wheels will be 15" x 6" all round. 

Will one of these fit in the wheel well?

Tank is standard IB version

What are you guys using on backdates?

I have the SC space saver still.

Regardless of wheel of wheel size or tyre width you are aiming for an overall diameter of around 25 inches for your road wheel/tyre combination.

25 inches will not fit in the wheel well but others have done this with a very low profile tyre - wouldn't recommend this option.

What about a 5 1/2 inch Fuch with a collapsible spare?

The original wheel was a 15 with about 1 1/2  inch of side profile when collapsed.

Not too sure what you mean old chap, PET shows 5 wheels for a 1972 car, a collapsible tyre on a Fuch?

Mind you, still need a compressor for that!

IB tank won't take a full size spare - rather it needs a collapsible spare to work.  Long hood tank on the other hand fits a full spare.  You can however fit a collapsible on a skinny Fuchs rather than the space saver rim which then works with an IB tank.  I think that was all the info being imparted.  Clearish?

Thanks Rich, yes, all clear, Leicestershire, sorry me being dim

May as well stick to a spacesaver, cheaper than an early tank and new wheel and tyre

I got myself a skinny 15 inch Fuchs in order to run a nice looking spare using the space saver tyre. 

Trouble is, none of the tyre fitters near me will take on the job of putting a 35 year old collapsible tyre on a 45 year old wheel.   To be honest, you can’t really blame them!

I’d be happy to purchase a new collapsible spare but cannot find anywhere to buy one.

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Northy said:

I've got a skinny fuchs on a collapsible in mine.  Fits not problem.

How olds the tyre ???

Can you still get new replacement tyres as i dont fancy running around on a 31 year old spare that has been sat in the frunk all its life.

2 minutes ago, Spongebob said:

How olds the tyre ???

Can you still get new replacement tyres as i dont fancy running around on a 31 year old spare that has been sat in the frunk all its life.

Can we even pump up these old tyres, surely they are so set and brittle 

I have had cause to use the spacesaver - probably 10 years ago, so 20 years old not 30 yrs old.  I had a tyre fail at Bedford on a track day resulting in a spin and being "stuck" on a big cone.  That sorted, I used the spare to get from Bedford to South of London sticking religiously to 50mph and holding up the trucks in the motorway slow lane.  Its only one anecdote, but it worked well enough and seems to be about as far as anyone else has had to drive on one.  It never quite deflated back to its original fully collapsed shape but was close enough to go back in the car. 

I note that the spare in my AllRoad is exactly the same type of collapsible spare, just a bit larger.  So these things are still being produced at least in some sizes.

Edited by Richard Bernau

54 minutes ago, Spongebob said:

Hmmm, looks like i will just have to blag it on the Alps 2020 trip Richard is organising and hope the wheel holds up if the worst should happen. I'm sure a few others will be in a similar position.

Don’t panic!

Modern tyres are much better at resisting punctures. 

The vast majority of new cars are supplied without spare tyres - ok so most modern cars have tyre pressure monitoring and some have run flats. 

Get a good breakdown/ recovery card in your wallet.

Buy an electric pump and bottle of gloop. I have a Citroen pump and bottle in mine, they are readily available on eBay for not a lot of £.

Its worthwhile giving your spare a test. Not suggesting you throw it out if it looks unusable but not much point dragging it around taking storage space on a road trip if it’s not going to be used.

Final option, the red alloy space savers fitted to 964 and other Porsche cars are frequently advertised as being suitable for SC’s & 3.2. These are obviously a few years newer and could be worth further investigation.

• 3 months later...

On 10/21/2019 at 8:29 AM, Richard Bernau said:

Yes, I moved to a 964 spare after fitting 964 size brakes.  Offset is "wrong" but it worked for me as it sits inboard and I could add spacers to mitigate as I had the long wheel studs.  964 spares are alloy, so LW.

I wonder if the original or even the 964 equivalent will fit wit my Carbon 12 brake set up?

I carry an air pump and gloop just in case 

Edited by Beaky

• 4 weeks later...