Impact Bumpers
Sign in to follow this  
Chris_911

Any CV joint experts in the house?

I am in the process of stripping down my driveshafts to replace the boots.

There is pitting of the channels in the large outer cage of the inner CV joint.

Now this looks like an unfortunate 'replace' scenario to me but I'm after opinions from the wise.

Refurb or replace?

D shaft-3.jpg

D shaft-1.jpg

D shaft-2.jpg

I had the same a good few years ago - I actually ended up fitting full new shafts as the cost wasnt that much different to new CV joints and the actual shafts were well scabby.

CV2.jpg

CV3.jpg

CV4.jpg

Yours look much less worse than mine so you may well get another good few thousand miles out of them - mine didn't make any noises I had just stripped them as preventative maintenance.

You could also put the left shaft on the right and the right shaft on the left to wear the other side of the CV joint ;)

Thanks Jevvy.

Yes yours look a lot worse - I can only see pitting on the outer cage. No noise from mine and only 76k miles.

Hmmm.....

2 minutes ago, Chris_911 said:

Thanks Jevvy.

Yes yours look a lot worse - I can only see pitting on the outer cage. No noise from mine and only 76k miles.

Hmmm.....

Unless you do a lot of miles reversing I'd swap the side they are used on and get another 76k out of them.

*Edited to add I meant to say mine looked worse than yours!

Chris

Are your outer CV's the fixed type (friction welded to driveshaft)? Yours is an '88 so they should be.

Reason I ask is that i didn't think they could be replaced individually and so if the outer CV goes bad you have to replace the whole driveshaft. Would delighted to be proven wrong BTW!

Thanks

Nathan

Nathan

Yes - the outer joint cannot be dismantled.

The wear I have shown here is on the inner CV joint.

1 hour ago, Chris_911 said:

Nathan

Yes - the outer joint cannot be dismantled.

The wear I have shown here is on the inner CV joint.

Sorry, read "outer" and just ploughed in. Must try harder....

Swapping them around is a sensible way of getting more life out of them, you will then be driving on the opposing faces which are unused.  Also if your boots are original I would not replace for new ones as these appear to be lower quality and don’t last as long.  I gave mine a good clean, silicon treatment and then refitted with synthetic grease.

8 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

Swapping them around is a sensible way of getting more life out of them, you will then be driving on the opposing faces which are unused.  Also if your boots are original I would not replace for new ones as these appear to be lower quality and don’t last as long.  I gave mine a good clean, silicon treatment and then refitted with synthetic grease.

Thanks Ian.

Both inner boots split - hence the teardown.

Matt at Type911 has sorted me out a new pair of driveshafts......

Overkill? Probably.