Impact Bumpers
Northy

Nurburgring and Spa 6 hours WEC trip

I’ve just been finalising a trip to the Ring and the Spa 6 hours race in May.

E2654740-3A5D-4C93-97D0-59C756E459B8.thumb.jpeg.a916fec54143ecbccfd9135937b94f42.jpeg

We’ve planned to do drive down on Thursday (hopefully taking in some autobahns), staying nearby Thursday night. We are doing the afternoon/evening  Touristenfahrten session at the ‘Ring on the Friday and then hot foot it across to Spa for the 6 hour race on the Saturday.

I’ll post up some photos and videos along the way if people are interested?

Anyone got any recommendations for either destination? 

One lap at a time to start with at the Ring. You'll be mentally shot after just doing a single lap if its your first time there.

Two laps at a time is doable after you've got your eye in. That'll be almost the same time as a typical trackday session so concentration will be on the wane by that point. 

Slow down a LOT more than you think you need to for Adenau Forst. Be prepared to go straight over if you misjudge it. Do not try to make the turn if you've overcommitted. Ask me how I know !? :lol:

Track will be a lot emptier if it's wet so can be a good time to go out (assuming you're confident in the wet. 

Other than that, BitBurger and steak on a hot stone obviously :)

Edited by GaryH

Second karussel is not a constant radius and seems to tighten a lot at the end. If you start to understeer and come out of it then watch the barrier corner on the RHS. 

Edited by GaryH

Sounds like a great trip! watched a cool documentary few years back about the Six Hours of Spa and would love to go.

The Nurburgring is full of thrills but just needs to be respected. I would recommend as much research as possible before you go - there are a few helpful first timer guides on Youtube showing you what to expect and guiding you around the track. Search 'misha' and 'bridge to gantry'.

There will be loads to take in with an extremely long track, adrenaline, and others on the track going warp factor 9, so the more you can suss-out before you go, the better.

PS3/4 or Xbox laps before you go......don't knock it until you've tried it! It helps with learning the track layout.

There are loads of instructors which, for a first visit would be really helpful and they're pretty good value: something like 45 Euros for 30 mins or so. A mate had the same 'Misha' onboard last year for that sort of money.

Lastly, if the time/budget allows: the Ring taxi gives you a whole different perspective on pace around the track - shared with a couple of mates, it is worth every penny!

Its a great trip and despite what the countless crash videos might suggest, it is still something you can enjoy and it is not compulsory to put your life (and wallet) on the line.

Good luck - I look forward to the highlights!!