Impact Bumpers

I also thought that this term was coined for the 996 GT2 

Great article. I’d always thought widowmaker referred to the 930. Brings to mind this quote from the old TG

[on the 911 series engine placement, behind the rear axle]

Richard:
Now, technically, that's just wrong. It's like building a pyramid with the pointy bit at the bottom. It was a daft idea when they first did it 40 years ago, and on paper it still is today.

[...]

Richard:
In the '70s and '80s, the 911 was the Grim Reaper's company car. Huge crowds would gather at roundabouts to watch fat stockbrokers climb trees in their Porsches.

[...]

Richard:
Look, ma, I'm going sideways!

[...]

Richard:
The engine's at the wrong end, yeah... so what? Sure, it's a flaw, but it's a flaw like Cindy Crawford's mole. J.Lo's enormous buttocks. It's become its defining feature. It's the whole point of the car. The GT3 is final and absolute proof that evolution works.

classic stuff 

I thought it was termed after original 930. Something to do with laggy turbo, rear engined and yuppies crashing them 🤣

1 minute ago, proporsche said:

i thought the widow maker was a starfighter by Lockheed;-)

No, you’re thinking of the widowS maker 😂

Early Turbo's have always been the real widowmaker and as each new model went through updates and changes it chipped away at the widowmaker badge.

Do not lift applies to many cars, just ask Mrs Mondrian about her encounter with a tree in Westcott Venture park (back when the airfield was open) test driving a cobra 427 replica.

I'm sure the AC Cobra was the original widowmaker?

http://Porsche 911 Turbo 930 Davide Cironi Drive Experience 

I made a hash of link but worth searching for he sums up 930 rather well.

When i first drove mine i was almost  scared because of all i had heard. Then i realised it wasn't scary at all, it was linear, planted, power over steered in such a manageable  way you would have to be drunk to crash it. They are powerful, and like most powerful old cars, common sense, and they are safe as houses. I think they got widow maker  title from early cars, as mainly in USA, they had stupid high ride height, skinny rear tires, and most accidents did involve alcohol, altogether a very bad combo. Later Euro 3.3 turbos are a pretty sure footed car.