Fan Housing Strap Broke.

Ladies and Gentlemen 

Whilst torquing the alternator strap up it broke!!!  doh!!!  (Part number 96410625120) not entirely sure why but it did seem tight!

Anyway the question is can the old one be removed and a new one fitted, the clearances between strap and holes it fits through look tight but there is a way I hope.

Having just broke one part I am reluctant to force anything.

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Tim

Assuming you can get the old one off, Fenn Lane Motorsport do one that is easier to fit, iirc. I can’t recall why it’s easier to fit.  Got one on mine.

ED7D4560-A3BD-43A6-B521-4D3B991E1887.jpeg

4 hours ago, SP72 said:

Assuming you can get the old one off, Fenn Lane Motorsport do one that is easier to fit, iirc. I can’t recall why it’s easier to fit.  Got one on mine.

ED7D4560-A3BD-43A6-B521-4D3B991E1887.jpeg

I think it is because you can remove the ends by unbolting them which reduces the profile of the strap whilst fitting.  Similar to the one I have, removal of the old one was a pig, but fitting this different design was quite straightforward

That is a good looking engine, unfortunately I have ordered another Porsche one, oh well!! 

I guess if the old one came out the new one must go in somehow. 

Many Thanks 

Tim

PS SP72 please what ignition system are you using?

The fan housing has to be disconnected from the black cover also whatever you have connected to it..the best advice i can do if would  know for what model is it for and does it have a A/c?

Ivan

Edited by proporsche

1 hour ago, BB911 said:

That is a good looking engine, unfortunately I have ordered another Porsche one, oh well!! 

I guess if the old one came out the new one must go in somehow. 

Many Thanks 

Tim

PS SP72 please what ignition system are you using?

Thanks - looks slightly different now, but Motec, crankfire with coil on plug

yes if no a/c distributor has to come out.Make sure you have it on tdc....and the spark plugs cables on right 456 have to be disconnected and lifted away so you can actually lift the housing far away .It is possible you will have to remove oil press sending unit if you have a hard time..the straps goes from left to right on bottom

ivan

Hi

Thanks all, especially Ivan. I removed dizzy, shroud and oil pressure transducer, as prudent measures and "walked" it out.

Now I wait until new part arrives

Many thanks again

Tim

I found it difficult to make the ends meet closely enough, so use a longer bolt to start and replace with the correct one after it’s all pulled tight and bent to correct shape.