Handbrake shoes rubbing

Ady1971

Evening,

I replaced the handbrake shoes today: one side is fine and spins freely; the other - which is installed the same way -  is rubbing when I tighten the disc up (I can barely rotate the disc).

I've attached a couple of photos - is there anything obviously wrong?

It looks to me that the expander is preventing the shoes from resting on the assembly? Could it be the return spring is installed wrong, or lost tension?

I have tried slackening the handbrake cable off, to no avail.

Any suggestions are most welcome...

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

7 hours ago, Roy M said:

Looks like your return spring is catching on the adjuster?

They've always done that - is it wrong?

6 hours ago, Chris T said:

You have given the handbrake a few good pulls with the disc on to centre the shoes I assume..? 

Yep tried that... no change?

46 minutes ago, Phill said:

The pics I can find on Google show the adjuster as being the other way up?

Phil - tried both ways around: no change.

37 minutes ago, proporsche said:

plus your upper shoes is also up not down

Ivan - please could you explain a little more. Do I have the shoe in the wrong way around?

first adjust the hand brake inside the drums with loose cables once the shoes are touching the drum reverse 3 clicks.Then start tightening the 17 mm nut until you feel rubbing on the drum..then one turn back or 2 until the shoes are not rubbing.The hand brake inside the car should have only 3-4 clicks...

16 minutes ago, proporsche said:

first adjust the hand brake inside the drums with loose cables once the shoes are touching the drum reverse 3 clicks.Then start tightening the 17 mm nut until you feel rubbing on the drum..then one turn back or 2 until the shoes are not rubbing.The hand brake inside the car should have only 3-4 clicks...

Ivan,

I did loosen the handbrake cable using the 17mm nuts.

As soon as I put the disc on, and tighten the retaining screws up, the disc is almost impossible to rotate. Adjusting the star wheel just makes it even tighter.

I am no expert, but it feels like the expander is being pushed in by the end of the cable, pushing the shoes apart. Could this be the return spring, or the spring between the expanders?

3 hours ago, proporsche said:

the upper shoes cannot be up..the star adjuster is upside down as Phil said

Pic1.JPG

Ivan,

Great.... so next steps:

1. slacken off the cable on the 17mm nuts (again)

2. Rotate the star wheel the correct way up

3. expand the star wheel to the point where the drum rubs / back off 3 - 4 turns

4. tighten up the cable

I did try this before, but I couldn't rotate the disc at all when I adjusted the star wheel a tiny amount; and when fully backed off, only had marginal movement.

I will repeat the steps above to see if there is any change.

I did mine at the weekend and will going out to adjust them this week depending on the weather and other commitments. My star wheels are the same way up as the last post if that helps - I found it difficult to adjust them before and assumed they need replacing - there was a fair amount of brake material left so not sure that was the issue. Hope yours goes well......

Finally found the issue....

The Mintex shoes do not have as large a rebate for the star wheel as the original shoes. This was causing the shoes to be expanded even on the lowest setting.

Also, the spring between the 2 expanders was weak, so not pushing the shoes out far enough when the cable was released.

Thanks for all the replies.

IMG_3600.JPG

4 hours ago, Dr Rock said:

Mr Angle Grinder should be able to fix that.

Should be.... probably a bit beyond my capability (I'll most likely lose a finger) 😁

18 minutes ago, Phill said:

You must learn. Using an angle grinder is one of life's great pleasures.

True: but don’t forget your eye and ear protection though...

14 hours ago, Phill said:

You must learn. Being on grinder is one of life's great pleasures.

:whistling:

On 3/24/2019 at 10:39 AM, Type911 said:

:whistling:

OMG - just re-read this :) 

I was worried about losing a finger; least of my worries - could lose far more: marriage; kids; dog - the list goes on :)

Still - handbrake is now working 🙌