2019 Solstice cruise

sopor

Getting this in early so the thread/event finally gets the right title. 😁

Looks like Saturday 22 June is the day for this year? And the usual route/timings?

Meet at Greenwich Park (top car park Blackheath side) at approx 4pm. Then head south to Clackett Lane services (south side/west bound) to pick up another contingent. Then head south again (on back roads as much as possible) and end up at the beach car park in Pevensey Bay for a fish and chip supper. The head for Beachy Head for a group photo shot in the traditional June fog. Then on to Brighton Marina for a McDonalds coffee. Finish there is around 9-30 to 10.

I was thinking about this, funnily enough. I'm going to be a bit negative unfortunately. It does seem to have turned into a bit of a parade. Not much fun for those at the front and only slightly more for those at the back. We've done that route and those roads to death. We need a new route on new roads to somewhere different. 

Not opposed to a new route but will that solve the parade aspect? That would seem to be mostly a function of the number of cars and the level of traffic on a sunny June afternoon in the south of England?

Here's a radical thought - how about starting things off at the other end of the day - early in the morning and done by 11:00? Traffic will be much less of an issue.

3 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

Phil - sounds like we'd better keep you back from Beachy Head!

:lol:

I'll be there regardless 'cos the best bit is meeting up and having a chat.

7 minutes ago, Nige said:

Might get this booked in as I don't have many road trips booked in this year.  May do a stay over somewhere as it's a bit of trek from oop here.

Would be great to meet you Nige.

Stop complicating things Ian.

Seriously though, I'd be happy to go for drive anywhere - starting in London is a bit of ball ache though traffic wise so prob best to start from somewhere around the M25?

1 minute ago, R2D2 said:

I was going to suggest something west to get you Welsh boys down! 

da iawn lol You know, cause we are grand slam champs and all 👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿😂

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 11:22 AM, R2D2 said:

starting in London is a bit of ball ache though traffic wise

On 3/19/2019 at 5:16 PM, Lesworth said:

I for one wont bother with Greenwich. Last few years its been mobbed traffic wise.

You both have a point, but just in case people have forgotten the significance of Greenwich/Summer Solstice - the Meridian, setting GMT etc.

On 3/19/2019 at 7:56 PM, Ian Comerford said:

We did discuss the option of a route north from Greenwich last year, up around Suffolk and back.  I

Guys, there are four equivalent yearly markers, Summer Solstice, Winter Solstice, Spring Equinox and Autumn Equinox. Why change something that works rather than create three new runs for variety, inclusiveness and more millage in the IBs? Just saying...

Mark

7 minutes ago, SilverWT said:

Guys, there are four equivalent yearly markers, Summer Solstice, Winter Solstice, Spring Equinox and Autumn Equinox. Why change something that works rather than create three new runs for variety, inclusiveness and more millage in the IBs? Just saying...

Mark

Good idea Mark. Would be nice to see some roads north of the river and west of the big smoke. Apparently they've started paving the roads in the Midlands so that could be good :P