Oil pressure warning switch removal

Phill

I'm going to change my oil pressure warning light switch (the one at the rear of the engine) as it is leaking.

Has anyone got any safety tips like the switch at the front which you shouldn't remove without it's mount because you might crack the block?

to remove the oil pressure switch i used 2 10cm 1/ 2inch extensions.With 27mm socket on the end.Before remove the airboth so you can get a ratchet on the top of the extensions.Once is loose i used a rubber hose which i pushed on top of the switch and then unscrewed it.Same procedure in reverse.

Ivan

Right, I have done this. It came undone quite easily but I established it wasn't leaking. I replaced it anyway as I had one on the shelf.

The leak was/is coming from were in have placed the knock sensor. The oil is travelling up the bolt thread and out. So can anyone recommend a thread sealer. This one seems to be right?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Permatex-59214-Temperature-Thread-Sealant/dp/B0002UEOP0

Pinched off Pelican, in the photo with the stat out off the engine you can see the pry slot formed by gradual reduction of the lip/rim depth. The first photo give you an idea of where this slot is relative to the car. Enjoy!

hi he studs are there and cannot be removed with the engine in the car on 911SC....Then you have top lift the el.harness.  and possibly the breathing hose migh be in the way...

Ivan

on the picture somebody had bolts in not studs..

Bi Phill

Also check where the breather hose attaches to the crankcase.  The failed gasket under mine was the culprit for most of my escaping oil, which then pooled around the oil switch.

Peter

52 minutes ago, proporsche said:

i just hope you do not have these air line there too...these alu. lines

sensor fuel pump.JPG

None of that Ivan. I don't have any CIS left.

43 minutes ago, PeterK said:

Bi Phill

Also check where the breather hose attaches to the crankcase.  The failed gasket under mine was the culprit for most of my escaping oil, which then pooled around the oil switch.

Peter

I'm not Bi Peter!!

New gasket intended with Hylomar Blue for added measure.

I have, however, trimmed the breather hose itself which was a bit stretched. That may solve the issue and I shall wait and see before trying the thermostat again.

1 minute ago, Phill said:

I'm not Bi Peter!!

😂😂😂😂

Sorry Phill - typing by Fat Fingers again (or was it Apple's spiel chucker) !

• 2 weeks later...

Having been for a spirited drive I checked the triangle of death and found more oil. It certainly looked like it was coming from the thermostat housing this time so I bought one of these (glasses for scale).

IMG_20190404_094845.thumb.jpg.546b196202d8ae4c3e9a16e83226ee2a.jpg

This time the stat popped out easily. I think possibly loosened by my last, unsuccessful, attempt.

The o ring was certainly crusty and flat. New one fitted, stat refitted.

Now I'm concerned I put it back then right way round! I'm fairly sure I put it back the same way but these things nag at me (mild OCD). Can it go in one way only or do I need to take it out and check?