Impact Bumpers
Sign in to follow this  
Chris_911

Oil Return Tubes

A 'do I do this while I am in there' pondering... Exhaust is off so....

These aren't exactly dripping oil but they are letting a little past.

Leave 'em alone or fit collapsible steel replacements?

Is the reliability of the collapsible tubes good?

Oil Return-1.jpg

Oil Return-2.jpg

Oil Return-3.jpg

Oil Return-4.jpg

well? if you can twist them by hand they are ready to be replaced if not spinning-not even one of them- no need to replace..

Ivan

7 minutes ago, proporsche said:

well? if you can twist them by hand they are ready to be replaced if not spinning-not even one of them- no need to replace..

Ivan

Thanks Ivan.

Will see if I can twist them.

Hmm...all 4 can be turned quite easily by hand.

Is this a reliable indication of condition Ivan?

Its basically a test that can determine how oval the tube o-rings are - once they are very oval they dont have much outward pressure to seal against oil leakage and in turn make the tubes easy to rotate. They dont look too bad to me - I'd be tempted to leave as-is and revisit if they start leaking more.

You strike me as a maintenance kinda guy - maybe follow Ivans advice and replace the HE nuts more regularly to take the fear and risk out of having to remove the HE's in the future if they start to leak badly.

Collapsable tubes are ok but they add an extra leak point in the middle ;)

4 minutes ago, jevvy said:

Its basically a test that can determine how oval the tube o-rings are - once they are very oval they dont have much outward pressure to seal against oil leakage and in turn make the tubes easy to rotate. They dont look too bad to me - I'd be tempted to leave as-is and revisit if they start leaking more.

You strike me as a maintenance kinda guy - maybe follow Ivans advice and replace the HE nuts more regularly to take the fear and risk out of having to remove the HE's in the future if they start to leak badly.

Collapsable tubes are ok but they add an extra leak point in the middle ;)

'maintenance kinda guy' - ha! Will take that as a compliment! A career in engineering will do that to you ;) 

Yes, my thoughts exactly - a potential for leaking in the middle.

It's a thirty year old engine so I may replace. I'm about to drain the oil and remove the oil scavenge pipe so it really is an ideal time.

yup replace them .They most likely have an orange kind of seal on them .That is from the 1980`s.Use Sachs grease to lubricate the inner rings and also the large on the outside.Please do not get the aluminium types!!!

This lube will make it easy to open upon the installation.Make sure the 2 o rings are closer to the center of the engine case Away from the heat..that is all

Ivan

Edited by proporsche