Issues fitting Powerlite starter??

Anyone with a G50 had issues fitting a Powerlite starter?

The Powerlite extends further into the starter ring area than the std starter, and I'm wondering if this is the issue. When I try to mount the starter it appears to seat at the stud locations but can be rocked to either side. It's just not seating properly. It's quite possible that I am being a numpty though......

starter-1.jpg.e8f2ac872d618f385bc78e2349ab59fa.jpg

Chris

Assuming they've sent you the right one (!), this is what I did: Pull the gear of the new starter out to its maximum "reach" and then tape some cardboard around the shaft so its held in this max position. Wrap 1 layer electrical  tape around the starter gear, pressing the tape into the teeth so that the overall size of the starter gear is increased by the thickness of the tape. offer the starter up onto the studs and twist the unit until you feel the starter gear mesh with the ring gear, tighten up the bolts just enough to hold it in place, use a sharpy to mark this position relative to the gearbox, remove starter, tape and cardboard and install the starter aligned with the pen marks. The tape has given you the required gear lash thereby preventing the starter gear from meshing too tightly with the ring gear when hot. 

Harder to put in words than to actually do.

No idea why they don't explain this but there you go.

45 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

Chris

Assuming they've sent you the right one (!), this is what I did: Pull the gear of the new starter out to its maximum "reach" and then tape some cardboard around the shaft so its held in this max position. Wrap 1 layer electrical  tape around the starter gear, pressing the tape into the teeth so that the overall size of the starter gear is increased by the thickness of the tape. offer the starter up onto the studs and twist the unit until you feel the starter gear mesh with the ring gear, tighten up the bolts just enough to hold it in place, use a sharpy to mark this position relative to the gearbox, remove starter, tape and cardboard and install the starter aligned with the pen marks. The tape has given you the required gear lash thereby preventing the starter gear from meshing too tightly with the ring gear when hot. 

Harder to put in words than to actually do.

No idea why they don't explain this but there you go.

🤔 Mine was just fit and go! 

I have been in touch with Powerlite and sent them a short video.

They seem to think there is something wrong with the unit I have. It's the right one for the G50 but something amiss.

I actually have a brand new G50 Powerlite starter that I randomly found in the garage a couple of weeks ago whilst looking for something unrelated. I must have bought it as a spare...

Can either post some pics of the starter for you, or I can drop it off over the weekend to see if fits better than the one you currently have.

13 hours ago, Wingnonut said:

🤔 Mine was just fit and go! 

Lucky you! On my car I'd had an issue with the original starter gear mashing into the ring gear because of alignment issues....didn't want that to happen again.

13 hours ago, Anil said:

I actually have a brand new G50 Powerlite starter that I randomly found in the garage a couple of weeks ago whilst looking for something unrelated. I must have bought it as a spare...

Can either post some pics of the starter for you, or I can drop it off over the weekend to see if fits better than the one you currently have.

Hi Anil

That is an incredibly kind offer. Are we anywhere near each other (I'm in Cheltenham)?

Well this is an 'interesting' anomaly.

My understanding is that a G50 gearbox needs a 10 tooth starter. Hence the Powerlite unit I have is a RAC508A.

I sent some images to Powerlite and they queried the number of teeth on my original Porsche starter - it actually has 9.

Powerlite is sending me an RAC508 (9 tooth) unit to exchange for the RAC508A I have been trying to fit. Apart from the number of teeth the pinion gear on the 508 is shorter than that on the 508A.

Hopefully this will sort my issue but just goes to show there are anomalies out there....

RAC508 delivered.

The distance from the mounting flange to the nose of the pinion gear is identical to the RAC508A though. (Powerlite did tell me that the RAC508 has a shorter pinion gear.)

I will see if it mounts on the car this afternoon.

• 5 months later...

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It motivated me to take my old starter out prior to ordering the 10 teeth Powerlite.  Turns out my 88 G50 also currently has a 9 tooth pinion so will order the 508 instead of the 508A that I was about too!