Jump to content
Impact Bumpers
reddevil

6 point harness

Recommended Posts

Is anyone using a 6pt harness in their IB?

I'm looking for some best practice to mount the bottom two straps. Previously, they were mounted to a bar which sits between the Recaro bucket seat brackets that mount onto the Porsche runners. There are two problems with this arrangement:

1) You can only mount the seat on its highest point on the bracket, as the bar fouls the back of the bucket.

2) It seems to me best practice is to mount eyelets to the floor for the nut slicer straps.

However the ECU is under the seat 😉

Just wondering how others have arranged their harnesses?

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, reddevil said:

1) You can only mount the seat on its highest point on the bracket, as the bar fouls the back of the bucket.

Is that using the Gt3 sub strap bracket thingy?

I think Brey Krause also do one. 

https://www.bkauto.com/R_9035_Sub_Strap_Mount_p/r-9035.htm

Perhaps one of the above may sit the bar lower allowing you to mount the seat lower?

I'm in the process of mounting PP's in my car, but just going with 4-points I think.  

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, it’s a simple bar mounted between the ali recaro brackets which themselves mount to the runners. I dislike it for a number of reasons, one being the seat hight issue but the other being essentially the weak point is the Ali brackets themselves - you should mount your harness to hard reinforced points on the shell not something designed merely to locate the seat. 

Standard 4 points still have the submarine issue where the buckle can be pulled up towards your breastbone and you can slip under the belt - that you don’t get with a road 3-point belt. 

I am thinking the best option for a road car might be to forget the 5/6 point all together and use something like the Schroth ASM 4 point system which is designed with an anti submarine ‘stretch’ in the shoulder straps, has an FIA rating as a result, and can be used with a HANS device.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, reddevil said:

I am thinking the best option for a road car might be to forget the 5/6 point all together and use something like the Schroth ASM 4 point system which is designed with an anti submarine ‘stretch’ in the shoulder straps, has an FIA rating as a result, and can be used with a HANS device.

Exactly what I have just ordered for mine (well 1 as i'm too poor for 2 lol)  Cheapest I found was through GSM seats in Nottingham.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 11:53 AM, Sidewaysfun said:

Exactly what I have just ordered for mine (well 1 as i'm too poor for 2 lol)  Cheapest I found was through GSM seats in Nottingham.

I got a deal through Merlin, but we have ordered quite a bit through them, think they were £211 per side. Be aware they are handed though, so make sure you have the right or left set depending on where your wheel is.

Bonus is they look very similar to the Porsche-specific GT harnesses! 

Mine arrive tomorrow so will keep you updated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, reddevil said:

I got a deal through Merlin, but we have ordered quite a bit through them, think they were £211 per side. Be aware they are handed though, so make sure you have the right or left set depending on where your wheel is.

Bonus is they look very similar to the Porsche-specific GT harnesses! 

Mine arrive tomorrow so will keep you updated.

 

Already made sure, but thanks for the warning. Something to do with the ASM needing to be on the in-cabin side of the driver I think.. Not quite sure how it works 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Leicestershire said:

Can you move the ECU?

Then go through the floor using these on the underside.

 image.jpeg.0d4a22b4cce3692f802934aa82863143.jpeg

Yup could have done I suppose. In a dual use car I guess the extra lack of faff with the 5/6th point was also a factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 2:12 PM, Leicestershire said:

Can you move the ECU?

Then go through the floor using these on the underside.

 image.jpeg.0d4a22b4cce3692f802934aa82863143.jpeg

I did that on the 3.2 and went just in front of the ECU on the pass side.  Same on the 930 with Motec relocated.

I don't understand how a 4 point can really be anti-submarine as the shoulder belts always pull the lap belts up to what feels like a dangerous position as soon as you tighten them.  $0.02.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 1:49 PM, Richard Bernau said:

I did that on the 3.2 and went just in front of the ECU on the pass side.  Same on the 930 with Motec relocated.

I don't understand how a 4 point can really be anti-submarine as the shoulder belts always pull the lap belts up to what feels like a dangerous position as soon as you tighten them.  $0.02.

 

One of the shoulder belts is engineered to stretch a little on impact.

 I’ll trust Schroth and FIA on this one 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2019 at 8:13 AM, reddevil said:

One of the shoulder belts is engineered to stretch a little on impact.

 I’ll trust Schroth and FIA on this one 😉

That sounded a bit spikey on reflection - wasn't my intention.

Anyway here are the installed harnesses. The yellow section is a folded and restiched area of belt, in a smash the stitching will break and that side will extend moving your body like a 3pt harness.

IMG_2289.thumb.jpg.7c8f3f63fe9f592eb0fab9e9f8f757ea.jpg

IMG_1406.thumb.JPG.c160e615d6999057a6d588c137d9c454.JPG

 

On the point of the shoulder belts pulling the buckle up to what feels like a dangerous position, I always feel this is an indication that the lap belts on a 4pt being too loose. If you shorten them it might feel a bit more uncomftable but the tenancy is then for them not to ride up as much.

The Schroth belts have a nice 2in lap in less course, more road-car seatbelt type material, with more traditional 3in racing style material for the shoulders. This provides more comfort and the ability to get the laps nice and tight.

Overall impressed for just over £200 each side.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...