Shocks

Jim Rummy

Fellow air-cooleds, is it a tough job replacing the shocks on these old beasties? The garage that shall not be named refurbed my suspension (allegedly) some 5-6 years ago, but the shocks themselves were replaced when I bought the car 10 years ago. To be honest, I think it may just have been the inserts on the back.

Anyway, the offside front now makes a bumping and occasionally shearing sound over big bumps and the whole rig squeaks.

The car also feels too floaty over bumps at speed, so I’m thinking as the bushes look fine and the garage that should not be named replaced them with superpro bushes (allegedly) 5-6 years ago, that the car is probably due new shocks.

Bilsteins? £700 odd quid? Can I fit myself with help?

Thanks all

Ben (Jim)

Hi Ben, shocks are very straightforward, you can diy these.  As for the Superpro it appears the early ones were lifed and yours will probably be in need of replacing.  This is a bit more involved and there are a few ways of getting them done.  Bearing in mind that you will need to get your suspension aligned afterwards you could always ask Chris at Centre Gravity to replace the, and then align.   Seems he gets the suspension into its constituent parts very quickly and so it can easily be done in a day.  Just a thought

Ian 

44 minutes ago, Jim Rummy said:

replaced them with superpro bushes (allegedly) 5-6 years ago,

At the front send your A arms to Fenn Lane to be refurbished. Job done :twocents:

Thanks all - hi Ian, I did consider center gravity and actually had her booked in there awhile back but I do worry about the costs escalating - although I realise that they will sort it out as few can. I will probably take her there.
I’ve heard good things about Fenn Lane too, thanks, may consider them too - thanks again