Car Transportation: Bucks to Somerset

Hoping to pick the brains of the IB collective!

I need to transport my broken car from Buckinghamshire down to Somerset.

Has anyone used any/recommend an affordable transport company to use?  

Current quotes coming back at around £300, does this sound about right?

I'm also thinking of raising the ride height to make it easier to get on and off the tailors.  Any other tips?

Cheers, Paul

Shiply are good. But..... My advise  - don't go with just the cheapest. Make sure the company you go with has really good feedback.  Some of these drivers will drop you like a hat to take another deal and come out with loads of excuses. Utter timewasters and don't turn up..

I'd rather push the car to Somerset than use Shiply. I transported a 1950s jeep from Devon to France and to cut a long story short the Gendarmes had to be called out. Shiply are obviously only as good as the hauliers on their books, but they were as good as a chocolate tea pot when I reported the problem....'Not our fault Guv, you'll have to take it up with the company you used, we only act third party' - that's an actual quote! Reason I'm writing this is because as your destination is the SW you may have the misfortune of seeing a bid from the company I used. If he hails from Bovey Tracy, PM me!

Try Kevin on 07768 201303. He lives somewhere Wiltshire way (I think) and is collecting my car (and me) and delivering to Warminster (100 miles) on Monday for £140 cash. It will be the first time I have used him so can't comment yet but seemed reasonable.

Chris.

What Robin, says.  At half those prices you can have top recovery membership from the usual suspects and be covered for a year.  Guess your only problem is having to go back to the car and make the call and wait for the call out and ride back with it.

Try Kevin on 07768 201303. He lives somewhere Wiltshire way (I think) and is collecting my car (and me) and delivering to Warminster (100 miles) on Monday for £140 cash. It will be the first time I have used him so can't comment yet but seemed reasonable.
Chris.

Chris - my rolling chassis recently travelled from South Wales to Wallingford. My first question I asked was what level of insurance cover the company offered (250k) . The cost was reasonable given it was the best part of a days work with fuel costs of a land rover. Let me know if you need details as the guy works country wide.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses, those who have given contact details, I will get in touch with them and see what they can do :)

I'll certainly be cautious if using Shiply and base my judgement on the individual transport company.

Good thought about the recovery service... would they check if the car has an MOT before picking up..?  

I am with AA and have used them in the past.. collected my old Nissan from just outside Blyton Park racetrack with a monumentally ruined head.  Transported all the way back to Bucks.  Obviously, the damage to the engine happened on the road and was purely coincidence that it happened near a race track... :whistling:

Thanks all, hopefully get the car to Somerset allowing me to fix her up before the Summer ends!!

:thankyousign:

I used a guy called Daniel Chappelle to transport my 914 from the Felixstowe to West Sussex - he came highly recommended from the aircooled VW community. He'd recovered a camper with a blown engine from the South of France for a colleague of mine. I seem to recall he has a camper conversion business but moves vehicles as a sideline.

He was very reasonable price wise and the pick up/drop off were exactly when he said he would. I can PM you his contact details.

• johndglynn changed the title to Car Transportation: Bucks to Somerset