Impact Bumpers
Chris_911

Eisenmann exhaust for 3.2 Carrera

49 minutes ago, Type911 said:

Not sure the distance selling regs you quote Roy are valid outside the UK

My recollection is that they are the UK version of EU rules and came into force to update the Distance Selling Regulations to EU standards but can't be certain. As Chris says they may try to rely on them being 'custom' and you'll end up in a fight. Surprised they are keen on the bad publicity though - the Porsche world is a fairly small one.

1 hour ago, Chris_911 said:

I believe they are Matthew - the problem is that Eisenmann UK are claiming that as the units are 'custom made' those regulations do not apply. Now this may be open to challenge as the units are not bespoke to me (like a bespoke suit would be) but a catalogue item that is made to order. 

I frankly don't have the energy for this fight :( 

Thank feck brexit has helped

1 hour ago, Roy M said:

My recollection is that they are the UK version of EU rules and came into force to update the Distance Selling Regulations to EU standards but can't be certain. As Chris says they may try to rely on them being 'custom' and you'll end up in a fight. Surprised they are keen on the bad publicity though - the Porsche world is a fairly small one.

Very true, how many people in here would consider them now?

Maybe send them a link to this thread Chris 

This morning's discovery is that the installation straps for the rear box are not included in the installation kit.

Despite an e-mail at the time of order confirming stating that 'All installation hardware required is included but Not the gaskets, you would use OEM ones for this.'  I am being told sorry but you need to buy your own.

How much did I pay for this exhaust again????

I'd just send it back. If you're not happy distance selling regulations apply. Clearly the part is not custom to your car so I don't see they can reasonably argue there.

If they won't refund surely your credit card company will help. I'd speak to them next.

German firms are usually pretty good in my experience. I've bought and returned motorbike items before for no quibble refunds/replacements.

I wouldn't buy that line about the welds are functional rather than aesthetic, if its poorly made its sub-standard (especially for high price kit!) and who says  a shoddy weld wont fail?

Im more surprised that they don't think its shoddy. :huh:

Edited by MarkJ

Eisenmann website (German one) confirms 14 day return. https://eisenmann-exhaust-systems.com/cancellation-policy There's even a return form on their site.

Only caveat is "or that are clearly tailored to personal needs of the consumer,"   Unless you asked for something different from the norm then can't see the latter causingan issue. I would contact Germany direct.

Trying to contact Germany direct bounces me back to the guy I have been dealing with in the UK, who tells me that the German terms don't apply (the order was acknowledged by Eisenmann UK).

It's an energy sapping circular argument that just makes me angry. Going to move on.....

If I can make a suggestion...

You really have 2 options...

First option, just use them.  Being as dispassionate as possible, the issues are aesthetic.  I am struggling to see anything that would effect function.  Yeah, some not so pretty welds, but it looks solid and there is nothing that is going to make 0.5hp difference to exhaust flow IMHO.  And the bits you can see look fine.

Second option, return them.  Forget any complicated options - if you polish this, pay for that, I will accept whatever kind of stuff.  If you don't want them, just say they aren't good enough for the money plus they were damaged in transit, so I am sending them back, agreed?  Maybe you have to pay the post to get it done.  Lesson learned, move on.  Life is too short unless you really love arguing about this stuff.

Finally a penny worth of advice - forget about the legal ins and outs.  Unless you are actually going to take legal action, nobody really cares.  Just be clear, simple, consistent and straight forward and give them an opportunity to do the right thing.  Quoting (or misquoting?) legal rights just makes people angry and defensive.  I have bought a lot of Porsche parts at distance over the years and sometimes things don't fit or aren't all you hope for.  Keeping things simple and giving vendors an easy way of "fixing" the problem without trying to extract every last cent of compensation or "what I am legally entitled to" is usually the most successful plan.  Most people are decent and given an opportunity will do the right thing UNLESS they feel they are being screwed over.

Your choice.

36 minutes ago, Chris_911 said:

It's an exhausting circular argument that just makes me angry. Going to move on.....

Changed that for you....

Sound advice from Richard, +1

Just be satisfied with the fact that they have lost a lot of potential customers through their poor response shared here.

Edited by Phill

3 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

If I can make a suggestion...

You really have 2 options...

First option, just use them.  Being as dispassionate as possible, the issues are aesthetic.  I am struggling to see anything that would effect function.  Yeah, some not so pretty welds, but it looks solid and there is nothing that is going to make 0.5hp difference to exhaust flow IMHO.  And the bits you can see look fine.

Second option, return them.  Forget any complicated options - if you polish this, pay for that, I will accept whatever kind of stuff.  If you don't want them, just say they aren't good enough for the money plus they were damaged in transit, so I am sending them back, agreed?  Maybe you have to pay the post to get it done.  Lesson learned, move on.  Life is too short unless you really love arguing about this stuff.

Finally a penny worth of advice - forget about the legal ins and outs.  Unless you are actually going to take legal action, nobody really cares.  Just be clear, simple, consistent and straight forward and give them an opportunity to do the right thing.  Quoting (or misquoting?) legal rights just makes people angry and defensive.  I have bought a lot of Porsche parts at distance over the years and sometimes things don't fit or aren't all you hope for.  Keeping things simple and giving vendors an easy way of "fixing" the problem without trying to extract every last cent of compensation or "what I am legally entitled to" is usually the most successful plan.  Most people are decent and given an opportunity will do the right thing UNLESS they feel they are being screwed over.

Your choice.

Thanks Richard.

Am going to just use them.

Have to say though that I've found the Eisenmann attitude to be 'we don't have to do anything for you, you should feel privileged to have spent money with us'.

I'd echo what RB says, provided the fitting goes without too much trouble you've still got a decent system, albeit expensive.  When/if you ever sell the car I'm sure "Eisenmann" in the description will add value (whatever you think about them now and in the future)

Devil's Advocate... is it fair to compare the Eisenmann with Turbo Thomas or A.N.Other skilled fabricator type?

The postage damage alone looks to be grounds for return.

1 minute ago, mean in green said:

Devil's Advocate... is it fair to compare the Eisenmann with Turbo Thomas or A.N.Other skilled fabricator type?

TT welding and finishing is miles above the Eisenmann images Chris has posted.

I reckon your welding it probably better Nige

It is, but then I don't charge £2.5k for it.

Putting aside cosmetic beauty then evidence of significant levels of pinholing on the weld isn't reassuring =  poor workmanship and surely some perfectly reasonable grounds to question the longevity of the product?   

Return and seek full refund.  Sale of goods act, merchantable quality, "as is reasonable to expect having regard to price ......."

I almost wept at the sheer beauty of my SSI's when they arrived. Now i never ever see them and when I do (oil change etc) they look stuff. I'm with the just use them and move on. I get the cost / disappointment issue etc but life is too short.

Edited by Lesworth

15 hours ago, Dr Rock said:

For comparison, my SSI’s..

423C590B-8942-4771-9C4F-3EC511D9E481.jpeg

I see a dent on the RHS one - send them back!

1 hour ago, Lesworth said:

I get the cost / disappointment issue etc but life is too short.

I sense from Chris’ usual meticulous approach to his car, this might be easier said than done. I get the out of sight, out of mind thinking, but personally I’d return them whilst I was able to.

I think the SSIs are a good match for a road going 3.2/3.4 on standard induction and where my money would have gone, plus it gives you more choice on end silencer too (as do the F Modell Eisenmann for that matter).