Impact Bumpers
Chris T

Which BMW sensor?

Chaps, I’m at the rolling road and car is proving unreliable to start. ECU diagnostics point to a failing speed/reference sensor. It’s been discussed here before but I can’t find it..... which BMW car is the same sensor found on? I can get one of those within an hour. 

Thanks, Chris

I bought these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crankshaft-Sensor-0261210002-Bosch-115440501300-605186940-1708618-12121274644/232415221524?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This was based on my research on Pelican Parts. But please note that I haven't run my car since I fitted them.

Thanks, link produces a list of models it fits. Local parts delivery can get one here (if in stock!) within an hour. 🤞 

23 minutes ago, Chris T said:

Thanks, link produces a list of models it fits. Local parts delivery can get one here (if in stock!) within an hour. 🤞 

In all respects they appear identical to the originals on my car - except half the price of the one with the Porsche part number.

Genuine Bosch part ordered and here first thing tomorrow. £50 (OPC Swindon £240!)

Thanks Chris

Hi Chris

Please could you let us know how this worked out - just to "close the loop"?

Many thanks 

All fitted fine, it’s exactly the same part I’d say, just loads cheaper. It didn’t solve the issue but that’s a long story......

Chris

Great, thanks Chris.

As I'll be going your route in future ( ie programmable ECU, throttle bodies etc.), I've got all the time in the world! Seriously though this seems to be an enduring problem with such installations - please let us know when you're ready?

I see you did go the Canems Motronic plug compatible route in the end? What was the eventual twin-plug solution you settled on - after our previous correspondence I'm interested to know if you went 964 dizzie and how, or completely different route!

Cheers

Yes, 964 twin distributor bought 2nd hand with lower lead set. Canams  was far from plug and play (large engine config changes to be fair) and some kind of ignition interference was getting into ref sensor which took HOURS of expensive dyno time to sort. In hindsight a new MAP sensor and distributor less twin spark solution would have been better and cheaper in the long run, but I wasn’t expecting it to be so painful TBH.

Chris  

I’ve just ordered an FTE branded 911 speed ref sensor from Matt for £60+vat - OEM quality and arguably, preferred to the current variable quality of Bosch parts.

BMW part 0261210002 for both sensors if anyone is searching

Tags:

flywheel sensor

speed reference sensor

I bought that Bosch part number last week. Looks identical to the 005 part expect that the cable is a bit thinner - perhaps less heat resistant?

Added pics for reference - note the typo in gap size, should be 0.8mm not 0.08mm

3 hours ago, sopor said:

I bought that Bosch part number last week. Looks identical to the 005 part expect that the cable is a bit thinner - perhaps less heat resistant?

Interesting - will see how the FTE part compares with the outgoing Bosch part

8A138E41-E937-47F4-83DF-2342F1E599D6.jpeg

57A61114-2ECC-4544-B7C7-09518590FF54.jpeg

Edited by SP72