Failed steering column bush

This weekend, after a 800+ mile trip to and around the Lake District, my steering wheel became floppy - up and down movement but not sideways.

I assume it is the plastic bush that has disintegrated and have ordered a 'replacement' bush from Matt.

My questions are - are there any tips for fitting the replacement bush in the event that it is diffficult to drift in???  And, is it imperative that all the pieces of the original plastic bush are removed??

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Phill said:

Mine was very easy to fit. Slid straight in. The most time consuming bit was getting all the old bits out!

Same - I put a film of grease on the new bush.

Toothpick and tweezers are your friends.  

Mine was the Mitch Leyland bush mentioned above, I think only available from the US.

6 hours ago, SP72 said:

Mine was the Mitch Leyland bush mentioned above, I think only available from the US.

Ditto,

Check with Jazz as I believe Steve ordered a few in when he did mine. 

Respectfully going to disagree with 99.99%  chaps above,method  to do this properly is  to fit a new bearing. This is a terrible job, requiring the column to be removed,however key thing is you can clean and lube the lower bearing .

Additionally there is room to drive another (new) bearing down the shaft, pushing the old one out of the way.  This assumes it hasn't been done before.

Teaboy did a step by step thread with images many years ago showing how to remove the column and change the bush.  Proper job.

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all your valuable comments and suggestions.

I currently plan to take the easier and cheaper option of just replacing the plastic sleeve with a replacement ordered from Type911.

Thanks again and I eagerly await the replacement part so that I can get the car on the road again and enjoy this splendid weather.

Yes, I know I can still drive it with a fragmented bush (sounds painful!!) but I'd prefer not to. Anyway, I have a couple of other old bangers to enjoy  driving with hood down ( S1 E Type & 1950 XK120).

Angus..i think you are a drama queen..There is 99,99% out of 100% no need to replace the bearing it self.I have done i would say over 100  times this job and never ever had to replace anything else then the sleeve inside the upper bearing.The bearings will last of the live of most 911`s.

So,Rich.... do buy new bearing remove the teflon ring and install it into the old one.If you like tuto i will write one for you...

Ivan

11 hours ago, proporsche said:

There is 99,99% out of 100% no need to replace the bearing it self.I have done i would say over 100  times this job and never ever had to replace anything else then the sleeve inside the upper bearing.The bearings will last of the live of most 911`s.

So,Rich.... do buy new bearing remove the teflon ring and install it into the old one.If you like tuto i will write one for you...

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your comments - hopefully the new/replacement bearing sleeve will arrive next week and if I have any difficulty installing it, I will get in touch with you.

Thanks again,

Richard

16 hours ago, proporsche said:

Angus..i think you are a drama queen..

Ivan

Have been called that before, across some muddy field.In the same humor,Ivan, can I invite you to take a long yomp off a short pier?

45 minutes ago, angusb said:

Have been called that before, across some muddy field.In the same humor,Ivan, can I invite you to take a long yomp off a short pier?

Angus, I don’t think Ivan meant to insult you, bear in mind he’s Czech and although has a good command of English, he can be inclined to use the wrong terminology 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Rich..what you get is this bearing with the teflon.For an easy installation i usually grind a little the bottom lip -pictured- The main thing is the sunshine clip.Use flat head screwdriver to push it on top of the teflon spacer.

a 911 bearing.jpg

a sunshine clip.jpg

a clip on bearing.jpg

ya ya ya ....drama queen is for me.... to make a big deal out of nothing;-) is that not correct boys;-)??no insult meant thou;-)

Ivan

Replacement Steering column bush arrived from Type911 yesterday - its not plastic but split teflon coated steel.  

Will attempt to fit (I'll grease it up as well) today or tomorrow - will let you know how I succeed!

Thanks for all you comments/advice (and banter!!)

well, some people use this one but as you can see it is nothing as i have shown you above.This one is for Porsche 928 steering column...i do not understand why Matt sent you this type?

The vibration from suspension is greater with metal spacer.Porsche made it nylon for a reason..talk to Matt...

Ivan

Edited by proporsche