3.2 Starting Problems

My 88 Targa has become difficult to start when hot after it has stood .  Eventually starts but then runs rough for a short time with fluctuating idle speed eventually sorts itself out and then ok .  Had similar issue when starting from cold this morning.

Most likely causes please and areas to investigate? 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok so same problem when cold now also ...... engine cranks over but will not fire initially when it does, it is not firing properly but once it does start to fire it will eventually sort itself out and idle normally then everything is OK.

The first thing to check out is the DME relay under the passenger seat. They age and the solder joints can crack and cause your symptoms. They can be repaired but its better to fit a new one from Type911. Most folk always carry a spare.

Yep, could be DME relay. Probably worth whipping your idle control valve off and giving it a clean, it's only a quick job.

Could be your crank sensor messing around too. Not a difficult job but a bit fiddly.

Sounds like it could be the crank sensor. I had the exact same issue recently. One sensor reads the teeth on the starter ring, the other reads TDC. If the ECU sees no TDC reference it refuses to issue fuel = no starty. Matt does a reasonably priced version, or like me, use the BMW listed one. Bosch no. 0261210002 

Chris.

Hi Chris

Cn I ask a potentially silly question, but rather double check than feel even sillier later......both sensors (ie crank sensor reading teeth and the TDC sensor) are exactly the same part - ie Bosch 0261210002?

Regards

22 hours ago, WNX700H said:

Eventually starts but then runs rough for a short time with fluctuating idle speed eventually sorts itself out and then ok

If this an accurate description of the symptoms it sounds more like the cylinder head temp sensor playing up than anything else.

The other sensors and the DME relay either work or don't work, even if it is an intermittent fault that is sometimes there, sometimes not, and maybe heat dependant. With a dodgy CHT sensor it is difficult to start and idle is effected until up to full operating temp.

Mark

Edited by SilverWT

24 minutes ago, WNX700H said:

unless the temp sensor gives no indication of temperature at all

Which can be the failure mode.

At 15 - 30C the resistance should be 1.4 to 3.6 k ohm across the terminal in the white plug at the top of the bracket on the side of the nearside inlet manifold towards the front of the car. High resistance = rich mixture, low resistance = weak mixture.

Mark

If it IS the CHT sensor, like the BMW crank sensor, is there a cheaper source? Crazy money these days for such a simple thing as I found when I did mine recently. I did look at Ebay £12 versions but nobody could tell me resistance values. They tend to be a ring fitting but you could use the old one as a bolt to attach the new. 

Chris 

To my knowledge the CHT sensor is unique to 911`s , so replacement unfortunately requires  Porsche Tax.

The body of the sensor is a heavily recessed into the cylinder head, although the resistor element is likely to be pennies, there is no real way to repair. New sensor are also wired slightly differently, having improved twin earths.

We have the NLA Bosch sensor in stock about £50 saving 

Edited by Type911

Another suspect is the fuel pump which can go flakey. Can you hear it when first switching on the ignition? There is also a procedure for checking the fuel pressure, which I have forgotten, but which will be on here. Try a search.

On 4/22/2019 at 3:45 PM, WNX700H said:

No alarm fitted.

With all the toe rags about, unfortunately one is a necessity.

Re read your original post, when attempt to start, is the engine turning over at normal speed?

as ungus said temperature head sensor is very common problem.To find out what do you have ,disconnect your white plug and look at the male connector.If you see one pin inside you have the very old type of sensor and it should be replaced ...these two pins inside the white plug

Ivan

R93060691500.jpg

Car cranks over fine , cylinder head temp sensor is single wire, have ordered a new one. Guess I only need to plug in the new sensor when I get it when engine is cold and see if it starts as OK.  Then cause is proven.... ok I then need to fit it as I realise very quickly the engine will not run properly as mixture will not adjust if I am just sensing ambient temp.... but ok approach I think to prove the issue

If you have not already got the workshop manuals, Nige has kindly downloaded them,see under "All other technical issues" section.

When you come to fit  the new sensor, you probably need a homemade extra long 10mm socket, with a slit up the middle to allow for the wire.Some have managed with pair of needle nose pliers.

The rubber grommets on the wire go through engine tinware, some soap or Silicon grease spray makes them mucho easier to fit.